Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: How hard would it be to get an orchid from Uk to Us?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default How hard would it be to get an orchid from Uk to Us?

I've found a source for an apparently really rare orchid called Xanthette ‘Chartreuse’ . I've seen several sources in the states price this at above $1500. I'm wondering what the import restrictions etc are if anyone knows...

Wolf

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Hi , Here is some info. copied from an Orchid Club web site .
    Importing Orchids

Plant import into the United States is overseen by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)/Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) (sometimes appended with Plant Protection and Quarantine or PPQ), hence USDA/APHIS/PPQ. Because orchids are covered by the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES), the United States Department of the Interior (USDI), through the United States Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS), has delegated responsibility for the enforcement of CITES regulations to the USDA/APHIS/PPQ.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED TO DO IN THE UNITED STATES
    Obtain an import permit, which is free, from the USDA.

If you are a commercial firm intending to import CITES-regulated plants, you will need a General Permit as well ($70), which is good for two years.

Be aware of the closest or most convenient Port of Entry through which your plants will enter the United States, and where they will be inspected.

IF YOU ARE HAVING THE PLANTS SHIPPED TO YOU
    Plan to have the plants arrive in the spring or early summer, because newly imported plants reestablish best during these times.

Work with your chosen vendor well in advance of the intended shipping date to ensure that you have chosen plants that are in stock and have provided the necessary permits and payments.

Emphasize to the seller that the plants and the paperwork must match exactly. Extra, bonus plants, or other undocumented plants may invalidate the documentation, causing the entire shipment to be refused entry, unless appropriate and proper documentation can be quickly arranged. Proper documentation is the responsibility of the vendor, and includes all pertinent export permits (if applicable and always for wild-collected plants), phytosanitary certificates and CITES papers. You will probably be charged a fee for this documentation.

Stress to the vendor that plants must be clean, clean, clean. Plants infested with pests (live or dead), or having the appearance of being wild-collected, may result in the shipment being refused entry. It is not illegal to import wildcollected plants if they have the proper documentation. However, unless the plants appear to be artificially propagated, matching the strict CITES interpretation, your paperwork may be invalidated if only good for artificially propagated plants. Your vendor should be instructed in no uncertain terms that unless the plants are absolutely, positively clean and appear sanitary, they should not be included.

Arrange shipment details well in advance. Air freight only seems expensive. The worldwide postal system is notoriously unreliable and subject to loss of shipments.

It is wise to place a copy of the documents on the outside of the shipping container, with the originals inside.
    Lots of paper work and hassle . Gin

drat cause it would be great to get one of these.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

Know what you mean , I get a newsletter from OZ. with a lot of plants we don't see here .
    I helped a friend in Mich. move a lot of Cyps. that would of been bulldozed the permits inspections ect . were a mess . I imagine importing is worse . Gin

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

It's not worth the hassle--I don't think-- for just one plant. If you're importing cases to resell them that might be a different story...

Good info in your message, Gin.

well what I was thinking is get one plant in and then start growing and dividing it and then sell it maybe... LOL