Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Amesiella monticola

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Amesiella monticola

I have this little orchid amesiella monticola and it seems to be doing ok, though I feel like it is frozen. For nearly 3 months now it has not shown any life signs. It's not dying though: the leaves are green and sturdy, the roots are green, thick. It produced something that "looks" like a spike, however, it has been sitting in this state forever and the spike is not growing. I don't know what is it trying to do. The spike is about half cm. Anyone has experience with this type of orchid? I have intermediate temperatures, 72-77F at day, 65-67F at night. Grows under very high light. Any help very appreciated!!

Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

You don't say anything about your humidity level. This one definitely wants high humidity, like 85% +. It probably needs a more moderate filtered light level, definitely no direct mid-day sun. Your temperture range is higher than optimal by 5 or 10 degrees too. Expecially if your humidity is low too it adds up to a plant that is too stressed to thrive. Since it seems to be survivng well try a lower light level, the easiest thing to change, and it might be happier. The current spike may be beyond saving, but give it at least 6 months under the new conditions to see if it improves.

Thanks for your reply. My humidity level is about 50-60%. However, I could try keeping it very close to humidifier where it is about 90%. I can try reducing light as well. How about watering? Does like like to be watered like phrags? Could I keep it in the tray filled with water at the bottom (that would also increase humidity)

Real Name
    Shirley Cox
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal

Amesiella monticola plant prefers medium light, from 1500 to 2000 footcandles. When growing at windowsills, eastern exposure is ideal. If you are growing under fluorescent lights, grow 12 to 16 inches from the tubes. Light system are a great way to provide artificial light to your orchids. For watering it is best to use rainwater, distilled or RO water. Water with a pH of 7.5 or lower can also be used. Water as the mix approaches dryness but do not allow the mix to become completely dry between watering.