Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Rossioglossum 'Rawdon Jester' - Late growth worries.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Default Rossioglossum 'Rawdon Jester' - Late growth worries.

Hi guys,
    I have never grown a Rossioglossum before so I am not sure quite what to expect - as it is a hybrid I figure it will be a little more forgiving about care(?).
    I received this plant about a month ago and it had a small 1" tall new growth from the largest p/bulb when it arrived. Since then it has really grown quite quickly (now 10") and the new p/bulb has started to push through

However, I am worried that I should be starting to decrease watering and get the plant to rest over the winter...
    Do I carry on watering as normal until the growth finishes or start to decrease watering and hope that the little p/bulb will start growing again in spring?
    Any care tips from experienced grower would be a great help - thanks!

I grow indoors - the temp (at the moment) is around 22-24C during the day and 18C at night. Humidity 60%. I am watering with rainwater when the pot almost dries out.

Newest growth on left of photo
    Name:  IMG_4428.jpg
Views: 1624
Size:  235.5 KB

Newest growth on right of photo
    Name:  IMG_4422.jpg
Views: 1494
Size:  173.4 KB

Real Name
    AL
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous Types
    Member's Country Flag

My own experience with Rawdon Jester says to "go with the flow" and I wouldn't decrease watering yet. I believe it's actually a bit early for the 'winter rest' anyway, though here in New Mexico there is probably more light in my northern exposure green house than indoors in the U.K. For me the winter rest means to cut back on watering after December 1st. My first season with this orchid saw new growth, but no spike (I now believe the Rawdon Jester needed more light to spike). This last late summer saw a spike develop and it is growing nicely with a regular watering/fertlizing schedule. Watch your plant closely, but playing it safe would mean no withholding of water yet. Hope this information helps you. AL

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phragmipediums, paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

According to some websites that I have seen, you should stop watering it completely in December to January. Give it full sunlight for the next four months. In February start to water sparingly until July when you should water copiously again until September when you need to cut back again until December. Good luck!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Al -
    Thanks for the info. I shall wait until December and by that time (at the rate it is growing) the little p/bulb should be almost fully grown. As I grow indoors I check all the plants once a day anyway. Good luck with your flower spike - I hope to see some photos here when it finally flowers.

though here in New Mexico there is probably more light in my northern exposure green house than indoors in the U.K.
    I'd say there is more light getting to the bottom of your wardrobe than we have in the UK at the moment - lol

Susie -
    Thanks for the info too. I know you've had great success with a Rossio and you're not a million miles away from me. If you find any winter sun can you send some south of the river?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phragmipediums, paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by matheius View Post

Susie -
    Thanks for the info too. I know you've had great success with a Rossio and you're not a million miles away from me. If you find any winter sun can you send some south of the river?
    Yeah will do. I get about fifteen minutes at the end of the day these days. What I meant was put it in the window as opposed to keeping it shaded Good luck with it. can't wait to see those blooms.