Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Should I repot this Dendrobium nobile?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Laura
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Love them all
    Member's Country Flag

Question Should I repot this Dendrobium nobile?

Hello!

Here is one of my Dendrobium nobile. It's a rescued plant, and this pic is 2-3 weeks old already. Question is...should I re-pot, if I do, which would be the best choice of media? I was pondering thinking either basket or cork bark. My fingers itch, I can barely stop myself from pulling it out of the pot. Good thing I'm on call in the weekend, he'll survive my repotfever until Wednesday for sure.
    Name:  D.nobile.jpg
Views: 22199
Size:  135.6 KB

Thank you in advance!

Laura

Real Name
    ed
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda,

I live in Florida and you are in Sweden, so I don't know if this applies at all. I have 3 nobiles, when I received them I emailed the nursery about repotting them in hanging baskets, their advice was they did not think that a basket could retain the moisture needed. I'm in the rest period for mine at this time so I would not repot until after they bloomed in spring. I have one that looks more like a vanda then a den with roots all over the place and it seems happy, I can't see the original pot for the roots. This may help you or confuse you.

Real Name
    Laura
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Love them all
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    I live in Florida and you are in Sweden, so I don't know if this applies at all. I have 3 nobiles, when I received them I emailed the nursery about repotting them in hanging baskets, their advice was they did not think that a basket could retain the moisture needed. I'm in the rest period for mine at this time so I would not repot until after they bloomed in spring. I have one that looks more like a vanda then a den with roots all over the place and it seems happy, I can't see the original pot for the roots. This may help you or confuse you.
    Hello and thank you Ed

Definitely confused but calmer. Sounds like I can leave it spilling roots out of its pot without needing to fret. One serious issue I have is that the new growths are confusing. Both my nobiles have obviously bloomed at the end of spring/beginning of summer. They did pretty much nothing during the whole summer, they have been out in the cold for a while and since they came back indoors I got new growth as you can see. It has been slow for a while but now it is really picking up and I worry, because they are on the shower daily, water when remember resting period schedule.

Should I start watering and feeding again, now that all new growth reached 10 cm?

Cheers!

Laura

Real Name
    Magnus
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    There are to many...
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Laura

Your D nobile hybride think that it´s cool resting period is over as you took it into the warm indoor climate.
    For replanting you can do that when the new growth starts sending out roots, if you think it is needed.
    For substrate I would go for small size bark with some spagnum moss for water retention, or Hygrolon instead of spagnum as the later has a tendensy to go bad after a year or so.

/M
    Last edited by Magnus A; November 3rd, 2012 at 05:49 PM.

Real Name
    Laura
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Love them all
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Magnus

Awesome! Thank you for the input! The new growth comes from some old stumps from some former canes, no roots from them directly.
    I bought myself a liter of hygrolon and I was wondering where I should use it. Time to experiment! Then I'll start feeding weakly weekly and see how goes, I guess it will be very cool to have a big D nobile bush

I looooooooooove repotting!

Trevlig helg!/have a great weekend!

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus A View Post
    Hi Laura

Your D nobile hybride think that it´s cool resting period is over as you took it into the warm indoor climate.
    For replanting you can di that when the ney growth starts sending out roots, if you think it is needed.
    For substrate I would go for small size bark with some spagnum moss for water retention, or Hygrolon instead of spagnum as the later has a tendensy to go bad after a year or so.

/M

Real Name
    ed
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda,

glad you got the answer you were looking for, did not mean to confuse you, and thanks Magnus for the info.

Real Name
    Laura
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Love them all
    Member's Country Flag

Well, the poor thing has been re-potted in hygrolon, looks good so far, still crisp and "weeding", canes feel hard and they are even darker green. Doesn't get too much heat, cold by my windows. And my silly growlight for the window came, it is already dark by 3 p.m. here
    Can't say I truly rejoice, as it will make my window look like I opened a house of ill repute but ppl already put up their x-mas lights so...

Cheers!
    /L

Hope your nobile does well! It looks very healthy. Now I'm wanting to get one!
    Posted via Mobile Device