Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flasking media for epyphites

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Flasking media for epyphites

Ok, so...I have noticed there are tons of different formulas for media for flasking orchids. Some with fruit sugars in them, without, yadda yadda yadda....how do you go about choosing one?

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Aaron, SteveT has apparently done quite a bit of flasking himself and would be able to give you the details on this. Otherwise, I'll do some checking myself and will let you know what I find.

What genus are you thinking of flasking? There are some "general purpose" formulas which supposedly do a decent job on "most things," and then some specialty formulas designed for the needs of specific genera.

Default Flasking Epyphites

Hi Louis

My Epidendrum is ready for green seed sowing (well, as far as the general rule of 2/3 of the maturation time, but it is slightly past this now by about 13 days or so. I have been doing alot of reading about flasking, and one of the sources (unmentioned since they are a semi-commercial service) said that yes, it is possible to sow from green pod, however they prefer to sow from a dry pod due to something about viruses can possibly be passed from green seed culture but generally not from dry seed...or something to that effect. From what I understood, it was preferrable to go from green seed due to the fact that the insides of the pod are sterile (well, mostly).

SteveT

if you're out there in the ether somewhere, what would you recommend? Feel free to PM me. I wouldn't mind trying to make my own concoction, but this is my first time sowing, so I am open to something commercially prepared.

Пока (Later),
    Aaron

I do a fair amount of flasking. P6668 or Phytomax (same thing availabe at phytotech.com) works really well. I use it plain. Some people suggest putting in mashed banana. I've had good germination without. If you do decide to add banana. Use 50 grams per litre. Pulverize it. If your thinking of growing paphs, they need a whole different media, and never any banana.

I use a replate media with p6668 and banana and potatoe. It works very well.

Kyle

Default Epyphite media

Thanks Kyle.

Is the addition of bannana to add more sugars to the growing media, or are there natural hormones available for the plant to use? I have been curious about this addition of fruits (and potato evidently).

Hi.
    Your right the banana adds sugar and apparently some hormones. In the absense of banana, sometimes you will have seeds germinate, make tiny green balls (protocorms) and then die. A lot of dendrobiums do that in my experience. Add banana and every thing stays green long enough to replate.
    I'll PM you a link to a discussion of the addition of potatoe to the media. Potatoe would be adding the sugars in the form of carbohydrates. Think of it as slow release fertilizer.

Kyle

Default Potato

Makes perfect sense...the more complex the sugar, the longer it takes to be processed. I breifly hopped on to the discussion you suggested, but had to go anniversary shopping...I'll look at it more in depth in a little bit.

For anyone who reads this:

What is your take on green seed vs. dry seed sowing?

Green pod is almost always better for flasking, in my opinion. As for complex sugars... when you use them in your medias, they fraction back into simple sugars when autoclaved...

The best solution is a green pod, some good media, clean work environment, and The Smiths.

Default Flasking and Music

Quote Originally Posted by SteveT

The best solution is a green pod, some good media, clean work environment, and The Smiths.
    Right on...I've got enough mp3s of the Smiths to keep me occupied for quite a while

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Well, it's a good thing I don't intend to do any flasking - - who are The Smiths? (Rock? Punk? Jazz???) Sigh - - getting old....