Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dendrobium Vejvarut Roongkamol

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Laura
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Love them all
    Member's Country Flag

FABULOUS! Great blooming! Now I have to move aside coz Jenn has drooled already on your plant so I need to fetch myself a spittoon to take care of mine
    <---- back to look some more

Have a great one!
    Laura

Real Name
    Li
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum. Duh!
    Member's Country Flag

Love the formosae-type dends and that is a well grown Roongkamool Vejvarut...

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks everyone foor your comments.

@ Jenn : This is not a nobile type but a Formosae type , as Paphioboy has pointed out - those with black hair on the canes. I wish I could grow the nobile types, which are more colourful but I can't provide the cooler conditions that they require. So I have to make do with these Formosae. However most are white with the beautiful red lip - slightly greenish ones, like the Green Lantern are a welcome change. Yellow ones are beginning to appear on the market and recently I bought 2 seedlings (with some weird name) and based upon the photo shown by the vendor are yellow with the red lip. I expect them to bloom in a year's time.

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    @ Jenn : This is not a nobile type but a Formosae type , as Paphioboy has pointed out - those with black hair on the canes. I wish I could grow the nobile types, which are more colourful but I can't provide the cooler conditions that they require. So I have to make do with these Formosae. However most are white with the beautiful red lip - slightly greenish ones, like the Green Lantern are a welcome change. Yellow ones are beginning to appear on the market and recently I bought 2 seedlings (with some weird name) and based upon the photo shown by the vendor are yellow with the red lip. I expect them to bloom in a year's time.
    Ahh...whoopsie!! Apparently I had my categories confused! Well, that clears that up. Now I know why my Green Lantern's been unhappy...I've been trying to grow it like a nobile den. DOH!!

Well, I'm off to remedy that ASAP. I feel kinda stupid now... I've been struggling with this plant for months. Well, at any rate, I'm glad I know what's what now! Pbbbbttttt....

Real Name
    Igor
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Encyclias. Anything scented.
    Member's Country Flag

Such a happy plant; bursting with dendrobial goodness! If this group is evergreen I will be brave and have a go! (I am nervous of deciduous Dendrobiums... or any deciduous orchids: I have various hardy and native orchids in the ground and after they disappear in the summer, I never expect to see them again... even though they come back... and I will never learn to have faith in them at all!)

I am not surprised you are so fond of this beauty!

Real Name
    Patty
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    What isn't?!
    Yuma, AZ: The little corner where Arizona, California and Mexico meet.
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by OrchidAddict View Post
    And on that note...I'm off to go drool over your photo again. (Don't worry...I'm not an orchid stalker...I won't come creeping around at night to take pics of it sleeping or anything...hehee....)
    'Fess up: only because you live in Pennsylvania!!

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)

Okay... I had to come back to this thread, because I've been thinking of getting one of these Den. Roongkanol Vejvaruts for a while, but I wanted to wait until my Den. Green Lantern bloomed so I could compare the two plants and avoid buying a Roongkanol if it was going to be really similar to what I already had. So anyway, my Green Lantern finally bloomed, and I was honestly a tad disappointed. The blooms were smaller than I'd imagined, although the striking read throat was amazing. But it didn't look nearly as nice as your Roongkanol.

It only gave me two blooms (which I suppose is mostly my fault, since I had been trying to grow it as a nobile until someone told me otherwise here on the forum!) Then, just as the second bloom was opening and I was preparing to capture a photo to show all of you how grateful I was for the advice that got my plant to FINALLY bloom, my daughter went running through the house in a frenzy, tripped over some furniture, knocked the plant over, smashed the pot and knocked both blossoms off the plant... smooshing them in the process.

Sadly, no photos of my Green Lantern will be forthcoming for quite a while now.

But anyway, now that I know I can grow the formosae dends without too much trouble, I'm once again drooling over your Den. Roongkanol Vejvarut. Your flowers look like they have a beautiful, wide-spreading form, whereas my Green Lantern flowers were sort of conical and pointy. Also, your flowers appear to be considerably larger than my GL flowers. I never got a chance to actually measure them before my daughter sent the blooms to orchid heaven, but just judging by appearances alone, your plant looks MUCH fuller.

So, I'm asking for everyone's advice here. I have an opportunity to snag one of these plants for under $20. Should I go for it?

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

@ Jenn : Roongkamol Vejvarut has the largest flower in this group. Den Green Lantern has smaller flowers but a very lovely coloured lip and the petals are narrower. I think Den Frosty Dawn x suzukii is more attractive than Green Lantern with fuller petals. My Frosty Dawn x bellatulum had its first bloom in Feb with only 1 flower on a 5 inch p-bulb (still in the thumbpot). The colour of the petals is a welcome break from the normal white of the Formosaes, being a light peach/orange towards the the tips. This peach/orange flush will only become evident as the blooms mature, about a month and really comes into its own aged 2 months. The blooms last up to 3 months here. I am posting pictures of Frosty Dawn x bellatulum. The first picture is of a plant (not mine) taken at one of the local Orchid Shows. The second picture is of the solitary flower on my small seedling, a picture taken by my youngest son in Feb when he came home for Chinese New Year.Name:  DSC_7648.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  149.2 KBName:  Sam's photo (1).jpg
Views: 803
Size:  70.0 KB

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)

Quote Originally Posted by catttan View Post
    @ Jenn : Roongkamol Vejvarut has the largest flower in this group. Den Green Lantern has smaller flowers but a very lovely coloured lip and the petals are narrower. I think Den Frosty Dawn x suzukii is more attractive than Green Lantern with fuller petals. My Frosty Dawn x bellatulum had its first bloom in Feb with only 1 flower on a 5 inch p-bulb (still in the thumbpot). The colour of the petals is a welcome break from the normal white of the Formosaes, being a light peach/orange towards the the tips. This peach/orange flush will only become evident as the blooms mature, about a month and really comes into its own aged 2 months. The blooms last up to 3 months here. I am posting pictures of Frosty Dawn x bellatulum. The first picture is of a plant (not mine) taken at one of the local Orchid Shows. The second picture is of the solitary flower on my small seedling, a picture taken by my youngest son in Feb when he came home for Chinese New Year.Name:  DSC_7648.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  149.2 KBName:  Sam's photo (1).jpg
Views: 803
Size:  70.0 KB
    THANK YOU!!! I really appreciate the info!! You confirmed what I had been suspecting about the size and fullness of the flowers.

Also, I had actually seen pics of the Frosty Dawn x bellatulum on another thread here on the forum, and of course I immediately decided I HAD to have one... but I had no luck finding one anywhere. They just don't seem to exist anywhere online! I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that these are rather expensive plants, but I don't mind paying good money for one with such terrific characteristics!! I LOVE the orange blush on the petals.

(For the record, when my son saw the blooms on my Green Lantern, he twisted up his face and said "Ewwww!!!" I told him they were the flowers, and his reaction was equally condescending. "It's sticking out its tongue!!" he quipped before stomping off. Needless to say, he didn't care for it very much.

Anyway, I've been having such a difficult time finding the Frosty Dawn x bellatulum that I'm debating just buying the two different plants and crossing them myself. Yeah, it will be a while before I get the final plants, but at least I'll have them! And if you ever feel motivated to "self" your plant, I'd happily take a seed pod!

Unfortunately I'm having a difficult time locating a Den bellatulum too.... ahhh, the glorious torture of an obsession...

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

You are all breaking my heart ... amazing dendrobiums - and about the only chance I might have of getting a plant would be to take my next holiday in Malaysia ; I'd love to go back, but the latest domestic news is that my wife looks to be wheelchair bound for some time, and since she will be 85 next birthday, "some time' sounds rather like a life sentence. So a plant I'm unlikely to get( still, I can keep my eyes open on auction sites and just hope.... ).

But then "you will notice the copper fungicide I sprayed" . It is not available in Europe at all, to non-professionals, in fact it even seems to be unavailable to professionals, and it is perhaps the chemical I most miss in the orchid house . Not only as a fungicide, but also a spray leaves a layer barely a single molecule thick, containing copper atoms - and slugs and snails won't - can't - walk across it. Neither can/will what we call woodlice ( Armadillidium sp.) which are a great pest here ; they come out at night, and nibble the growing tips off Oncidium (etc) roots - and there are no, repeat no, pesticides available which discourage them...maybe I can get a nurse in to look after my wife, and take a quick trip to KL, buy the dendrobium, and a 5 year supply of Copper fungicide too....and hope I don't get arrested trying to smuggle it in.