Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Several phal orchid plant health questions.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Bethany
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Default Several phal orchid plant health questions.

I come to the forum off and on to make sure I am doing what is needed for my little ones since I am a chronic plant murderer and up until recently all has seemed somewhat ok. I am currently in my last semester of university (graduating Saturday!) and had all of my exams and papers to take care of so I hired someone to take care of my plants and animals while I was away in Munich doing these things. I got back this morning to find one of my beloved orchids covered in mold and the other seems to have gone through a growth spurt.

I know I am going to ask a bunch of questions that are covered elsewhere, but Ive already looked through several pages and Im still writing my thesis and thought my time would be better spent actually caring for the plants rather than trying to find the needle in 71 pages of posts.

Good news first: I was told last time I posted about one of my plants that the random top roots are actually baby plants, and that I should wait until I saw three roots of three inches long before separating and replanting. I got home to find each finally at three inches where they can be safely removed, so I was wondering exactly what type of medium and fertilizer they will need and if anyone happens to know where the link about separating keikis is. I had bookmarked the link, but that was months ago and when I tried it today it was dead. Also, Im assuming 4 keikis will mean I need 4 pots? Or do you put two together like you do with daffodils, tulips and amaryllis? Here is a picture of my healthy babies:
    Name:  IMG_5147.JPG
Views: 4816
Size:  60.4 KB

And the bad news. I could strangle the housesitter. I have never overwatered my babies, but I got home to find the medium mouldy and when I lifted the pot there was so much water that even though I have raised orchid pots for ventilation the bottom of the plastic inner pot was sitting in water. I removed it immediately and as you can see she is draining over my sink right now. How do I deal with this? Do I need to totally change the medium? If so what medium or fertilizer would be the best for a grown plant? I am in Germany, so while I have read great things about Physan, but its not available here. Does anyone know of a comparable product I could use immediately? With the holidays I think it would take over a week to get here from the UK and I doubt the plant will want to wait that long. As you can see this beauty has been snipped back for winter after her spikes shriveled in late summer, so shes been well taken care of until now... Ugh! I was so thrilled that I was managing to keep plants alive for once, so she must be saved Here are some pictures:
    Name:  IMG_5141.JPG
Views: 1296
Size:  64.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_5143.JPG
Views: 1104
Size:  44.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_5144.JPG
Views: 1152
Size:  39.0 KB

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

First, congratulations on your graduation. I would recommend individual pots. Repot the the second plant and use fresh,clean medium. trim away all the dead and infected roots.

Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

I also want to congratulate you on your graduation. That's an important milestone in your life. While some orchids do well with two plants in one pot, my experience has been that phalaenopsis do not like to be planted together. One of the plants will usually start to decline when planted in the same pot. I've heard that you can just twist the keikis off but I've always cut the stem about one inch below the keiki and that's always worked for me. I won't comment on media because I don't know what you have available in your country. I agree with Yew, that you should repot the mother plant also. For all the orchids use the smallest pots that the root system will comfortably fit in. Pots that are too big will cause you problems.

Real Name
    Cathy
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous
    Member's Country Flag

oh sending congrats your graduation!! And Jeff has good advice.

Real Name
    Bethany
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Thank you all for the wishes, I just wish my babies didnt have to suffer for it... How hard is it to water the ficus and leave the orchids alone lol?

And thank you for the answers. I will go pick up the supplies today. My boyfriend was kind enough to look up a nursery that specializes in orchids for me, and its not too far, so Im going to head over there. Im sure they will know what the best medium and fungicide is that is available here. The EU can be sort of crazy about chemicals, you cant even buy bleach here.

Jeff - I will find a home for each of the babies rather than potting them together. Im a little confused though, the plant with the mold and the plant with the keikis are two different plants. Yew said to replant the one with the mold. Are you saying I should also repot the one with the keikis after removing them?

Thanks again everyone!!

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Member's Country Flag

I amaze with your Keiki with long healthy root and congratulation for your graduation one more thing welcome to the forum

Real Name
    Bob Benditzky
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal's, Paph's, Encyclia's
    Member's Country Flag

Congratulations on your graduation Bethany!!

If those were my plants 1) I'd be jumping up and down with joy with such healthy keikis 2) once removing both of the babies I'd pot/repot all of your plants. All the other posts above mine give great advice.

Please check back in with updates on your plants!

Real Name
    Bethany
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks to everyone for the wishes and advice!!

Everyone was repotted a week ago, but no time to post since then because of the holidays. A lovely lady at my local nursery happened to be an orchid lover so she was kind enough to point me to the best medium and fertilizer available. Everyone seems to be happy and doing well.

Thanks a million!!

Name:  IMG_5183.JPG
Views: 1168
Size:  46.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_5185.JPG
Views: 985
Size:  48.9 KB

Real Name
    angela parris
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Dendrobium, Oncidium
    Member's Country Flag

Congratulations on your Graduation! All's well that ends well ! Your plants are now looking happy in their new "homes". We look forward to seeing them in bloom.