Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free cattleya seedlings to good home

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Free cattleya seedlings to good home

Hey folks--

If anybody wants them, I have a pair of species cattleya seedlings (c. labiata semi-alba & c. maxima) that I got a while back. They're healthy, but I didn't do my research when I bought them and discovered that they're probably going to need a rest period during our rainy season--and I grow my plants outdoors, under shade cloth. Rather than completely re-vamp my growing area for these two plants, I'd rather find somebody else who wants them.

They're free. Please pm me if interested.

Thanks.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Schnozzle, I had to edit your post. If you want anything in return for these (as your original message stated) they need to be listed on the orchid-Bids site.

Thanks.

Even for postage??

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Yes. Anything at all coming back to you--money for postage, another something in trade, anything.

The only things you can list here without putting them on orchidBids first are things that you're giving away and sending absolutely and completely free, with no expectation whatsoever of any kind of recompense. In other words, pure gifts, because maybe you feel like being Santa Claus.

You can put your seedlings up on orchidBids as a one penny Buy Out sale, and if you want to recoup your 40 cent listing fee, you can add that to the postage you're charging. I don't think anyone would have a problem paying you the extra 40 cents if they were interested, and even the dollar it would cost you to register.

Heck, I would buy these off you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by LJA
    You can put your seedlings up on orchidBids as a one penny Buy Out sale, and if you want to recoup your 40 cent listing fee, you can add that to the postage you're charging. I don't think anyone would have a problem paying you the extra 40 cents if they were interested, and even the dollar it would cost you to register.
    No, thank you. I object to the idea of making me register and pay a fee for a listing simply because there is some minute level of transaction involved, in this case, shipping. That seems to me to go against the idea of a messageboard in general. If I wanted to engage in some kind of auction transaction, I'd go to but certainly not here.

This being the case, consider the plants not available through this board.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Unhappy

Schnozzle, I think everyone appreciates that you were trying to do a very generous thing, and I hope you'll continue to participate...

It's unfortunate for all of us that the rules have to be so stringent. I seriously doubt LJA likes being the "police".

Sorry, I didn't mean to get my nose bent out of shape. Certainly if there's anyone who would like these plants and is here in the States, by all means you can still feel free to pm me.

I've had a couple of issues with the way this board is run, though. I feel that, because it is connected with a business, it's being treated as an extension of a for-profit endeavor--and while I think the administrators here are in general helpful and supportive, they also sometimes impede or alter the flow of information in the interest of their own business ventures. This isn't a huge deal, but I think it does represent a conflict of interest.

So, although I've had some great interactions with people here, I've decided to find another board for the future.

this forum is an extension of a business so what is wrong with that? The only thing that they do not let you do is advertise other busineses and they do not let you sell things on here. there are many other forums that are not an extension of a business and they let you do those things so why are you trying to do that here where it is not allowed? If it was my business I would not let people advertise on it or sell things and there are lots of forums where you cannot even read the messages unless you are a customer and have bought something from them. I saw your message you posted before they editted it and you tried to say where you bought your plants and you tried to tell people to use paypal to send you postage so you did both of the things that they do not allow on here so why did you post your message here and not someplace else where they let you? lja helps lots of people here with growing their plants and they are not even customers or even from the united states and he does not have to do that he could make it just for his customers only. i don not think you have a right to complain and tell everybody you are leaving just because you cannot do what you want when it is against the rules.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by schnozzle
    I've had a couple of issues with the way this board is run, though. I feel that, because it is connected with a business, it's being treated as an extension of a for-profit endeavor--and while I think the administrators here are in general helpful and supportive, they also sometimes impede or alter the flow of information in the interest of their own business ventures. This isn't a huge deal, but I think it does represent a conflict of interest.

So, although I've had some great interactions with people here, I've decided to find another board for the future.
    Schnozzle,

Something for you to remember is that this board is supported by the business to which it is connected. You do not pay a cent to use this board; however, you did agree to abide by the rules set out in the terms and conditions on our site. If you feel that you will be better served by finding another board, by all means do so.

I do not like to see people get their feelings hurt and I do my level best to not hurt anyone's feelings, but the fact is if you want to sell or trade something to the members of this community or to anyone else who happens along, or see your listing advertised through the hundreds of spiders that post links to this site all over the net, then you will abide by the rules and post your item for sale or trade on Orchidbids. If you do not want to do that, then don't. No one is asking you to do anything you do not wish to do. If you want to stay and continue to be a participating member of this community, please do, if not, don't. The only thing you have to do is abide by the rules to which you agreed when you became a member of this forum. I wish you a happy journey finding another place to list your plants for free and I hope you can become a member of that forum and be happy. BUT I promise you this: You will have to abide by that forum’s rules also.

This forum is free. We encourage people to share ideas, stories, and advice about growing their orchids. We also run a business that pays for this server which uses an almost unfathomable amount of bandwidth at a very expensive price tag. AND this is the first time you or anyone else has ever heard me mention the cost RVO pays to keep this site updated with current software and the cost of the actual server and bandwidth that is being used to bring this free service to you.

You say you have a couple of issues with the way this forum is run; then PM LJA or me. We do not enjoy being police for this forum. We LOVE growing orchids and sharing knowledge with others and learning all we can from the many knowledgeable people who use this service as it is intended.

Cheers!
    Brutal_Dreamer
    OrchidTalk Moderator

I'm well aware this forum is free, and I'm well aware of bandwidth costs. I belong to several forums, most of them ask for a one-time donation to help cover these costs. No other forum I use charges its members to post ads of any kind; no other forum has moderators who remove information from their members' posts. No other forum I've seen has ads stuck inbetween posts, as I noticed in this thread earlier today (although now it seems to be gone, but ads are most certainly a source of income, or at least must defray server costs, I assume).

So there it is. Personally, I'd rather pay a subscription fee rather than have my posts edited because their content conflicts with the moderators' commerical interests. That's all. I will not post here again.