Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Phal With Too Much Water. Has Pictures.

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Exclamation Phal With Too Much Water. Has Pictures.

I have had this particular Phalaenopsis since November, and it has been thriving. I live in the southeastern region of the United States on the beach, and it is really humid down here so I think the orchids really enjoy the climate. I also keep the house at about 68-70 degrees Fahrenheit. I water it sparingly and sometimes display it in a terrarium that is potted separately from the other plants, but mostly leave it by itself. I also leave it by the window in direct sunlight because I live in a neighborhood with a lot of trees and shade.

When I bought it from the nursery it was originally planted in a small plastic container in moss. Last week I believe I over watered it, unfortunately. Some of the bottom leaves have turned yellow and fallen off and just about all of the flowers have come off as well.

I took it out of the plastic container to let the moss dry out and placed it alone in a terra cotta pot. Since it's health seems to continue to diminish, I removed the moss and put it in a bowl by itself to dry out (which you can see in the background of the pictures).

So my question is this: Should I re pot the plant or leave it to it's own devices and spray it occasionally? Also, do you think I need to cut off any of the roots?

Any input or criticism is greatly appreciated. I'm a younger grower and really care about all of my plants.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

If it were mine, I would put repot into a bark mix and include a little sphagnum. Leave it in a place with a bit less light and care for it normally until you see new growth...then give it more light. I dont know about how others deal with a change in potting mix, but if a plant of mine isn't obviously suffering, I change in stages. Yours doesn't look so bad off. I'd most likely keep the roots unless there are any dark squishy spots.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you for your help and concern! I will do what you directed as soon as possible. What exactly does the sphagnum do for the orchid?

Real Name
    Jordan Healey
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    The Weird and the Wonderful!
    Member's Country Flag

Nothing really, except act as a medium, and to keep the plant evenly moist. Personally, i think sphagnum keeps them TOO moist is a death wish to phallies, at least in this country. I see others elsewhere have had great success with it! I mainly use it on Pleurothallid Alliance and Oncidium Alliance with good success.