Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st timer trying to flask

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Ryan Walsh
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Member's Country Flag

Not a problem. The only ones that I've worked with that absolutely needed to be sown fresh or pretty close to dehiscence were Phalaenopsis and Coryanthes. Cypripedium candidum, which I'm actually doing my dissertation on, have to be green pod sown or else they build up dormancy mechanisms. These can be overcome but it takes additional steps. The tropical seed that I mentioned actually dies (or goes into a dormancy we don't know about) and can't be recovered. Although many labs will prefer green pods I'm sure they won't have a problem with properly stored and dried seed. If you have the ability, pick up some silica desiccant and a cigar hygrometer. Place the seeds with some desiccant and the hygrometer in a jar and keep them in there until the hygrometer reads 10-20%. The seeds can of course be in some sort of container such as a paper envelope or open microcentrifuge tube. When the seeds dry out properly the container can be closed and stored at 3-5 c for at least 5-10 yrs. with very little loss in germination rate. Let me know if you need anything else.

Hi again,
    Thought I would give an update, it has been just over 2 months since I started my flask. I began with one dendro flask and two of the other seed I bought (can't remember the name now). Within the first month the dendro had little green specks, now there are about 100 of them and they are all starting to get spiky, some more than others. The other two aren't doing as well, within a couple of days one of them had a little white spot in it, it has not gotten any bigger just a little white dot, nothing else happening in there. The third flask has had nothing in it until about two days ago when I saw the first little dot, unsure if its orchid or contamination. I'm wondering how long do I wait until I replate my dendros. I have been trying to get some pics up but only have my phone for a internet right now and can't figure out how to post. Any help appreciated.

Cheers
    Posted via Mobile Device