Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Dendrobium Rainbow Princess 'Maui Beauty'

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    ed
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda,

Default Dendrobium Rainbow Princess 'Maui Beauty'

A name that reminds me of a cartoon character, my last Nobile to bloom last year, this year it is the first.Name:  prpl nobile 2 (Copy).jpg
Views: 658
Size:  56.9 KBName:  prpl nobile (Copy).jpg
Views: 588
Size:  76.2 KB

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks for uploading image of dendrobium rainbow orchid. It’s fantastic and very lovely colour.

Real Name
    ed
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda,

this is a double post sorry

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

Ahhhh....a beauty for sure!!! Nicely grown! Is that just one big specimen plant, or do you have several of them in one pot? That's a LOT of bloomage! I just want to know what to expect from the couple of nobiles I just bought.

At any rate, good growing! The pics make me smile!

Real Name
    Cathy
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandaceous
    Member's Country Flag

Ed that is just terrific

Real Name
    ed
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda,

it's one plant, Jenn, I was lucky to find a grower that was selling out on them and got some nice sized plants for a good price, also I don't stake my canes, I just let them grow how they want to,thanks

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

Quote Originally Posted by stateless View Post
    it's one plant, Jenn, I was lucky to find a grower that was selling out on them and got some nice sized plants for a good price, also I don't stake my canes, I just let them grow how they want to,thanks
    WOWZA!!! ONE PLANT!!?? Okay, now I'm super-excited.

I just recently bought three nobiles...they came VERY cheap and only have one full cane per plant, but they've bloomed previously and have new growth on them, so by looking at your pics, I know it's just a matter of time before I have some A-MA-ZING specimens!!

A question about not staking your canes: Did your plants come already potted? Mine were sent bare-root in the mail, so I had to stake them when I potted them up...otherwise they flopped all over the place in their pots. They're more "root" than "cane," so I needed fairly large pots to hold the root systems, but the roots themselves don't hold the super-tall canes steady, so I have them staked. Perhaps when the roots anchor themselves to the pot I'll be able to let them grow all rambly like yours.

It's funny...with some orchids I'm super-picky about maintaining a tidy growth habit. For example, I have a Vanda that's currently more interested in growing a keiki than flowering...the keiki is growing faster than the mommy and coming right from the base of the plant, leaving this very odd-looking mess of leaves in my vase...I find it really annoying and have more than once contemplated removing the keiki. But then I stop myself, because if I accidentally kill the baby, the mommy might get too depressed to grow, and then I'll NEVER see flowers. Pbbbbbtttt.

But then, with other orchids, I like to just let them do what they do...I find them most beautiful in their natural form. For some reason I thought the nobiles wouldn't be able to hold themselves up if they weren't staked while growing. I've seen pictures of orchids in hanging baskets, with the canes cascading over the sides, full of blooms. I'm pretty sure the pictures I saw were of nobiles, but then again I could be totally wrong on that.

I'm still deciding whether I'm happy with my decision to stake my Dendrobium Green Lantern. It would look pretty awesome with canes dangling down, but since space is an issue, it would be much more difficult to accommodate the plant if it were in a large hanging basket.

Ahhh, if only we all had an arboretums on our properties...life would be so much simpler... hehee! Perhaps we should start an orchid commune.

Who wants in?!

Real Name
    ed
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda,

I don't stake mine because it would make them too top heavy, they look beautiful when they are staked. Mine were already potted when I got them, I put the pots in wooden vanda baskets and wired them in, since they were so top heavy already, some canes have grown up some down. I find dendrobiums one of the hardest plants for me as an outdoor grower because their pot size to plant size is so out of balance too much plant they are always blowing over. I admire indoor growers I think it takes a lot of skill to compensate for light and humidity, my hats off to every indoor grower, but growing outside has it's battles like storms that come out of nowhere with 40 and 50 mph gusts of winds, the last thing I want to hear is that all to familar sound of pots smashing on the ground.