Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm not good with Dendrobiums :(

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

what do you suggest I buy from you? I like REALLY easy orchids!

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Are you serious? I'm blown away.... But, given all the things you said you liked, I think Brsda. Orange Delight would work great for you. It's faintly fragrant at times and not overpowering, and, in my opinion, is just plain cool. Plus, it's tolerant of varying light and water conditions.

Because of where we are (Clarksville, Arkansas, not exactly the orchid mecca of the nation...) we 're stocking things that are easy for people to grow and rebloom without a whole lot of fuss. Our biggest battle here, seriously, is the one against myth, and I'm fighting orchid myths weekly by giving talks to all kinds of groups, sororities, and fraternities, all of whom have been wanting to start in with orchids but whose members (most of them, anyway) have been too scared to take the plunge.

So, Brsda. Orange Delight is what I'd recommend you to get at this point, in bloom, double spikes, and guaranteed to have more than 2 roots (!!)

(Unless you really want to replace those Phals you lost, in which case, we have some awesome ones....)

What are the temps like where you are?

The worst of the winter is over (I hope), but I probably wouldn't mail order until at least the middle of mark. With my luck, the plant would be delivered at 8am while I'm at work and would sit all day outside. Of course, given a 60 hour heat pack it might survive. Right now the weather in NY has been in the 30's-40's.
    I think I need something compact, is the orange delight compact at all? I suppose I could look it up. I've heard Brassia's are hard to get to bloom, which I'm now worried since I own one! Or is Brsda's in a different , um, family(?) I still don't have genre, family, hybrid, mericlones, species figured out. I just know d\sometimes I assume a type of orchid belongs with a similar plant, and it has *nothing* to do with it. I have no idea if I am making any sense now. After a week off from work and going back, my mind is a little frazzled.

I just looked up the orange delight. I love it but it was hard enough getting one spider palnt in the house with my boyfriend lol. He likes my orchids, but he says the spider ones freak him out. I guess he has a touch of arachnaphobia.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Lol! You're cracking me up...

The "Brsda." of Orange Delight stands for Brassada. It's a hybrid cross of two different genera: Brassia and Ada. It's the Brassia part that gives the flowers their spider look. But if your boyfriend doesn't like spiders, I guess Orange Delight is out!

Compact--hmm. Did you see the Odm Margaret Holm Alpine while you were over there? Those are pretty neat too, bloom twice a year, and are easy to grow.

When you get a sec, check them out.

(And don't get too stressed going back to work!!!)

I'll have to take a look, I'm going to have to save for a mini greenhouse soon. Oh well, I'll put off getting a new var if it means my orchids will be happier.

Thank goodness fior these threads. I was upset to find my Brassia tag was missing, and I found the thread when I posted a pic with the full name. Whoo hoo, now I'm off to write it down on my index list.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I think the mini greenhouse would definitely be a priority.

But, one of these days, OrchidTraci, one of these days....

LOL!

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I almost forgot: we're starting a new thing with our newsletters for the people who subscribed (I don't think you have yet but, you've posted so much on here you definitely qualify...). We're inviting people to submit orchid topics for exploration, questions, and discussion; if we pick your topic to highlight in the newsletter and talk about, we'll publish who you are / what you grow in the next issue where we discuss your topic and you get 10% off the total (including shipping) of any online purchase.

You've been asking some really good questions: is there some topic you'd like to see talked about? I'll enter you in....

Hmmm, when I'm put on the spot, I go blank lol! I've always been like that. Is this a newsletter for new and old growers alike? I guess one good topic I could use alot of advice on is lighting, what is enough/ not enough. All of the candlefoots in the world mean diddley. I'm always paranoid that I'm giving some WAY to much light and others not enough. I guess if the leaves are 'burning' it could be indicative, but it also could mean the plant is geting to much food too. I'm also curious what orchids are more forgiving if they get a bit more than needed/ less. I guess that could apply to water and fertilizer too though. *sigh* oh the complex world of orchid obsession......

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

That's a GREAT topic, and something I hadn't thought about: how to tell the difference between too much fertilizer and too much light. It'll definitely be worth researching. At this point, until we get our name and reputation really out there, our audience and market has been newcomers to the hobby, or folks sending gifts, so I'd say that the people who have subscribed to the newsletter are mostly just starting out. But that's how the obsession begins, and your topic is very applicable.

I really appreciate your posting it, too....

Glad I could help.