Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: 100% growth and flowering for orchids

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    catts, paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Default 100% growth and flowering for orchids

Hello everyone,
    Would just like to put it out there and ask if there was no restrictions, what you would do to create growth and flowering at 100% optimal levels for your orchids.

I understand there is different genera with different requirements, but feel free to comment and mention the genera if possible.

Know the cultural requirements for what you are growing and try to give those to the plant. I have found that general requirements for a genus does not hold up for every species in the genus. exaple: Bulbophyllum, moist and shade. I have found that some species need light fairly bright to bloom at the maximum. Therefore, culture needs to be juggled, based on experience. It may take a few years to get it down.

Real Name
    Jeff Tucker
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis, Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

My goal is healthy plants that bloom well. High nitrogen fertilizers and bright light can encourage orchids to grow rapidly but the resulting leaves are thinner and more susceptible to insects and fungus. So I don't try to force rapid growth. I try to provide the right light, moisture and nutrients to grow very healthy, strong plants over the long haul. I have limited space for growing so I can't create a lot of different environments. The orchids I buy need to be satisfied with the environment that I have. I'm always on the lookout for orchids that have a reputation for being vigorous growers and reliable bloomers. I have a few plants that, just by their nature, out-perform the others. I'm always looking for more of those.

Real Name
    Magnus
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    There are to many...
    Member's Country Flag

My orchids get what they get!
    No special fertilizer,some ordinary pot fertilizer, weak, now and then when I feel thay may need some extra during hevy growth.

During winter I have three different growing conditions (very moist drip wall growing cabinet, large drier growing cabinet and my windowsill.
    In the summer I add one more growing zone and that is my balcony.

Depending on size of the plants I move them to the place they grow best in.

Though I have had plans to build another cabinet with cooler climate but that will have to wait some years...

/M

Real Name
    ed
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    vanda,

if there were no restrictions, for me it would be space. My vanda area became very crowded, with a redo I was able to spread them out, easier to water, better light distribution, and most important for south Florida better air movement.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Member's Country Flag

Magnus, you're very organized! You're doing better than I am with YOUR system. Mine get what the seller says they should get (but eventually, they just get what I have time to give them. AND THE ONES THAT ARE DOING THE BEST, GET THE LEAST ATTENTION! I quizzed Bruce, the dreamer about forcing a plant that was moving off of it's mount (not wanting to grow where I wanted it to). After all my reading, I decided it's best to let it do what it wants to do.... It's growing away from the mount and onto another basket but so be it. It's developed many new roots, leaves, and even a flower spike since it teamed up with the one in the basket, doing much better than it was by itself. In summary (AGAIN) yes, they will tell us what they need :-)

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tucker85 View Post
    My goal is healthy plants that bloom well. High nitrogen fertilizers and bright light can encourage orchids to grow rapidly but the resulting leaves are thinner and more susceptible to insects and fungus. So I don't try to force rapid growth. I try to provide the right light, moisture and nutrients to grow very healthy, strong plants over the long haul. I have limited space for growing so I can't create a lot of different environments. The orchids I buy need to be satisfied with the environment that I have. I'm always on the lookout for orchids that have a reputation for being vigorous growers and reliable bloomers. I have a few plants that, just by their nature, out-perform the others. I'm always looking for more of those.
    Tucker85, VERY valuable and wise information you posted (NO high nitrogen fertilizers and bright light). In my opinion, those two factors combined, are a recipe for disaster (yes, been there and done that, along with many other mistakes. Fortunately, for most of us, it takes OUR OWN mistakes to learn. Reading from a book about what NOT to do means much less then actually committing the act/making the mistake ourselves - for myself anyway. THANK YOU FOR YOUR WISE POST WHICH CANNOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH.