Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Laminar Flow Hood

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Talking Laminar Flow Hood

Hello,
    I would like to know the easiest way to build a laminar flow hood. Any info. would be a great help.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Try looking through this thread..

http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...read.php?t=368

I built a laminar flow hood and it has been working great for me. Here is a link to a post I made about it. There is a parts list but no directions let me know if you have any questions like where to find filters or anything. The key is everything has to be completely clean especially the air blowing out.

http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...4966#post24966

Ryan

Dimensions of the laminar flow hood. (Sorry they are small...and in inches...but those of you who use metric (99% of the earths population) get the drift)

Name:  Hoods dimensions1.jpg
Views: 17414
Size:  357.2 KB

Ryan

Ryan that flow hood looks excelent!!! Where about did you get the filters and the fan? Did you order them online or was there someplace close to you that you purchased them from? Also I will go ahead and ask this here. How do you steralize your media? Do you have an autoclave? Thanks Ryan.

The filters are actually two Hunter replacement filters (#30930), that I siliconed together. I bought them online along with the blower. Filters ~$45.00 and the blower ~$90.00. Make sure the blower has enough air moving capacity, the one I used has 465 cfm. And I do use an autoclave to sterilize the media by dissolving the media powder in near boiling water pouring it into the container autoclaving it with the lids just resting on top of the opening. Once everything has cooled down I seal the lids on the containers

ok then. I have access to autoclaves at work, but they are not the kinds needed to steralize liquids. They are the kinds to flash instuments for surgery. I used the ones at school that they use to autoclave media, but its a pain to get them to allow me to use it. Especialy if I start doing it frequently they will not allow it. So I will have to see about getting a preasure cooker and making an auto stirer. Thanks for the info and when I get around to doing it myself I will post how things are going.