Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Psychopsis Mendenhall 'Hildos' FCC/AOS

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Psychopsis Mendenhall 'Hildos' FCC/AOS

It looks like someone (maybe twos) has posted a picture of this Mendenhall grex in this forum a while back. The Mendenhall grex is a cross of Psychopsis Butterfly (P. sanderae x papilio) with P. papilio, i.e it is 3/4 papilio. This clone was given a FCC sometime ago I believe. This particular clone that I have, it seems that one of the petals does not curve back in so it destroys the C2v symmetry of the flower. However, after looking at it for a while, I think because of that, it makes the bloom more interesting. So when I exhibited it for ribbon judging at the Southland Orchid Show (held at the Huntington Botanical Garden, San Marino a few weeks ago, Oct 21-23), it got 1st place (blue ribbon) for its section. The bloom is very large and you would not believe how tall the spike was, > than 4 feet! So enjoy.
    Hoa.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow very impressive.

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Oh wow! Now I am drooling! That is beautiful, Hoa! I gotta jsut break down and buy one of those. Thanks for sharing yours with us!

Cheers!
    BD

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Oh Boy! that makes me even more excited that my 'Kahili Big' has a bud almost ready to open!!! (I broke the first bud off moving the plant - duh) Gee, Hoa, maybe I could enter one of my plants.. I just don't like the fact that so much of the judging I've seen seems politically driven....

I really do like the Psycho,s.
    Thats a beauty.
    Mine(Boris) has just spiked on a new PB
    The other spike has 2 new flowers on

Wink

Thanks WolfinKW, B-Dreamer, Diane, and Uncasteeb!!!

Well, B-Dreamer, please break-down and treat yourself another Psychopsis. Maybe this plant should be in your Christmas' wish list... This baby, it bloomed during the summer and then after resting a month, it blooms again in time for the show. What a great plant!

Well, Diane, we do this for fun, calling it hobby for a reason. Win or loose, it does not matter. Having fun doing it is the most important thing, I believe. Judging orchids often depends on personal preferences so we might think it is political at times, after all, it is another human endeavor. However, I think that people in my orchid societies try to be fair as much as possible but there is only one blue ribbon to give for the 1st place. I have seen them judging the plants and I even had to do this myself some times when asked. It is tough when there are many deserving plants and you know people put in lot of work to get these blooms for all to appreciate. But at the end, after looking at the final results, I think that the ribbon winners deserve it. The winning plants always have something quite exceptional that make them stand out, regardless of color, bloom size, form, etc...
    BTW, please post a picture of your Kahili, I don't have that beauty.
    Another plant that I exhibited at the Show got a second place. It is a red cattleya. I will look for its picture and try to post it later.

Cheers. Hoa.

Smile

Well, I don't think I took the picture of the red cattleya (Pot. Red Crab) that got the 2nd place. But I got the picture of both the Psychopsis and the Pot. on display at our award-winning display of our orchid society at the Southland Show. So here it is. Next to the blue ribbon of the Psychopsis, you could see the red ribbon for the Pot. Red Crab (a very nice red, I call it vibrant red, since it is brighter than other reds like the Blc. Chia Lin or the Blc. Oconee). (Below you could see the Taiwan Queen plant also on display.) Other winning plants of the display, you can find out at the website of the OSSC (Orchids Society of Southern California). I also post another picture of our society display from a different angle. However, I missed the Paph section and the front section of the display, oh well, next time...

Cheers. Hoa.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

My Grow Area
    In a Greenhouse.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya

I have a small plant of 'Hildo's can't wait for it to bloom. Thank You for sharing the picture now I know what to look forward too . I have a Onc. Butterfly that has 2 spikes and a psychopsis papilio that got a spike this year . I love how they just continue to bloom on the old spikes . Your displays are wonderful !!
    Rocco

Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phal Vanda Aer Angrm Catts

There seem to be a lot of Psychos around here -- I mean the plants of course.

Hoa -- congrats on the blue ribbon. Like Diane I've never been brave enough to take my plants for any kind of judging--posting their photos is as close as I have gotten. Anyway, I can see why your plant was given the prize--beautiful.

Real Name
    Mary
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya William Farrell
    Member's Country Flag

Bravo Hoa... Unfortunately I'm in the process of killing my psycho. The spike fell off along with the new bud and one leaf. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
    Ischel