Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Orchids Bought Overseas

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Orchids Bought Overseas

I love to travel...and now I think I have a new "must do" in every country I visit that has orchids native to it: Buy a flask.

November 2011, I was in Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. I was backpacking and was on the "must find and buy blue orchids" kick and ended up buying a blue Vanda in flask. (Posted here: http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...lection-2.html).
    I haven't deflasked it yet but this is what it looks like now:
    Name:  017.JPG
Views: 17567
Size:  56.7 KB

I think its ready to be let out! I kind of don't want to break the bottle...it's a nice little souvenir-haha. And as you can see, I have two other flasks.

The two small flasks are from my trip to Costa Rica a couple weeks ago. I wanted a "simple" one so I got the Oncidium Sweet Sugar on the left. The one on the right is a Trichocentrum cebolleta. I'd never heard of it before but thought it was the most striking one on the shelf. I almost lost these to customs in Florida but luckily, the agent found the permit as he was tearing apart the packaging. I didn't even realize the document was hidden away and the seller said I shouldn't have a problem at customs. I took a chance and had no issues with my Thai Vanda so I bought both. So glad I was able to get them through.

I deflasked the Trichocentrum thinking that I wouldn't kick myself in the butt if I lost these babies since I'd never heard of them before.
    Name:  016.JPG
Views: 1482
Size:  61.1 KB
    One has started to brown at the tip (the day I forgot to mist them!) They're all in my orchid tank at the moment and get about 1-2 hours of light. Should I move these all together in a community pot or leave them as is?

Is the Vanda ready to be deflasked? I know I'll have a hard time growing this in the Northeast...

There's a wealth of information on this website on deflasking (Thanks BD and community members). I'll have to re-read those. Would love your opinions on whether these are ready to go and if I need to put the Trichocentrums in a compot.

Thanks

Real Name
    sunny
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    fuuran/ phalaenopsis

i love your collection!
    sorry that i couldn't answer your questions. i have only a year's experience ...
    btw, i am visiting korea soon and planning to get some neofinetias,but
    i don't know what to do at the custom. could you give some advice about it?
    is orchid quarantined? i heard that orchid needs to be bare root but that's the only thing i know so far..

Quote Originally Posted by phalaenopsis72 View Post
    i love your collection!
    sorry that i couldn't answer your questions. i have only a year's experience ...
    btw, i am visiting korea soon and planning to get some neofinetias,but
    i don't know what to do at the custom. could you give some advice about it?
    is orchid quarantined? i heard that orchid needs to be bare root but that's the only thing i know so far..
    Hey! I've only had the experience of bringing flasks with me through customs. I know there are all sorts of regulations with bringing specimens in. I'm assuming it's easier for flasks to be brought since they are cultures and less likely to bring diseases and stow away pests from the origin country. My blue vanda from Thailand was bought in Suvarnabhumi Airport and properly sealed in a duty free bag. I had no issues when I arrived in JFK in NYC.

The two other flasks from Costa Rica were bought in a souvenir shop. Granted I could have probably gotten better ones at orchid nurseries (there were so many there!!!) but did not have the time to visit. With that said, any reputable nursery will tell you if their orchids/flasks can be exported safely and will provide you the proper documentation to do so. I asked the shop owner if they were ok to go through customs and she said yes, in very limited English, so I knew I was taking a chance by buying these.

If taking a chance like I did, make sure you read the packaging. I read the exterior of mine but didn't realize the permits for the two flasks were inside. I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by presenting the documents at customs, had I known they were there.

It might be a lot of trouble to get permits for something you can easily get online or at orchid shows. Maybe some other members can chime in.

Real Name
    Jonada
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Chiu Hua Dancer
    Member's Country Flag

A closer picture of the roots in your vanda flask may help answer your question of it being time to deflask. They look ok to stay in there a while yet to me, but I have very little experience with flasks. You may wish to look into vase culture for them when you take them out. I have heard some good stories about it for vandaceous especially.

Real Name
    sunny
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    fuuran/ phalaenopsis

wow, thank you for your reply!
    it helped a lot!
    hope your new orchids do well and bloom soon!

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

i've never done this, but i am guessing the benefit of a community pot is that it is a little larger, and would dry out less quickly? and fyi - trichocentrum cebolleta is the 'hallucinigenic oncidium' !!

Hi, I have just bought Trichcentrum cebolleta. Could you please give me advice on deflasking this species and the following culture conditions? How did you get on with this orchid? Many thanks!!
    Posted via Mobile Device