Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which RO System?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default Which RO System?

I have been thinking about getting a reverse osmosis system because I have horrible well water. I have been looking on ebay for a system but they all seem pretty much the same. Can anybody suggest a system that they like or any systems to avoid.

Aaron

I don't have an answer for you but wanted to put in my plug for getting lots of feedback on this question...I've also been considering it but haven't gotten into researching the question yet.

Matt

I bought one a few months ago. I looked at a bunch of models and you are right they are all basically the same. I talked to some people I know that are into fish and reef keeping and they told me that all you need to worry about is whether or not the membrane was made in the states or not.

That being said, I just waited till one was cheap and bought it. Think I paid 100 for a RO+DI unit, though I bypass the di. no need for that. Also how are you going to store the water? And then how are you going to move it? RO is corrosive so you will want a good plasitc container. Get one bigger than you think you need. Also you will want to get an auto shutoff for it unless you are going to manually turn it off and on.

Thought I would add a few more things. I bought my pump from Harbor frieght, I got a 1 hp well pump. It works well and gives me good pressure, works great with my sprinkl;er system in my gh and I imagine would even run a mister pretty good. I was told that none of those little units will do more than 100gpd so dont waste your money trying to get more than that out of those little units. Also you are not going to get 100gpd. Conditions would need to be just perfect (downhill with wind at your back) in order to achieve those results. Keep in mind that RO wastes 3 gallons for every one produced, you need somewhere direct that runnoff. It happens very slow so its not like you have to worry about gushing water but you still need to give it come consideration.

If you have any questions fire away. If I have the answer ill be more than happy to post it.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

I bought one year before last , it is under the sink , I use rain water ,If getting low on it I start putting Ro. in plastic one gal . jugs, it is a 5 stage don't remember how many Gal. Per. Day it does .
    Another person on this forum, Maggie OK. bought a counter top unit it hooks to the faucet . I would be happy to tell you where we bought them PM. me if you want to know . Gin

How much do you keep in storage?

I've also been looking at the whole whose filtration systems that are installed on the main water line so that any water in the house (showers, washing hands, etc.) are chlorine, contaminant, and sediment free (for health reasons more than for my plants.) Anyone have one of these?

ME

I put a charcoal filter on my house water. Showering in RO seems like excessive waste to me.

edit- I keep a 55 gallon drum full. That waters my 9x9 just fine.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

The charcoal filter would be the thing to get for whole house use . An Ro. unit would not be able to deliver enough for all the use .
    I try to use rain ,the catch barrel is 55 gal . and keep a large trash can in the green house and 2 on the porch , a submersable pump moves it around and I water with it .
    I keep anywhere from 25 to 30 1 gal jugs full of Ro. on the enclosed porch , kinda depends on how many you have to water . Gin

Thanks for the info guys. But Forest why no need for the DI? Should you not use DI water on orchids?

Aaron

I dont know that you shouldnt use it, its just one more filter component to replace because the DI is post RO. The RO puts out about 4 ppm and the DI puts out about 0 ppm so the diference is negligible and not worth having to replace the DI filters in my opinion.

This brings up another point. I have had people tell me that it is ok to water with straight RO, but in principal it doesnt make good sense to me. The minerals are sucked out of the water through osmosis. Then once the water is there it wants to turn back to its natural state and starts to pull from its surroundings to achieve that (osmosis). This is why you need to store it in plastic or some other non-corrosive material. Anyway, my concern is that if you water with it, over time it could actually rob the plant of minerals and cause damage. I have mine hooked up to my injector and every watering the plants get fed. Just something to think about.