Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrong orchid? Need ID help!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Jenn, I had to google for I am was not familiar with Dendrobium lampongense. It looks like a possibility. message me with what company you purchased from.

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

crazy! whoever packed your order was obviously not reading, or not familiar with phals like at all!! yikes. i hope you get it sorted out.

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

Quote Originally Posted by coeruleo View Post
    crazy! whoever packed your order was obviously not reading, or not familiar with phals like at all!! yikes. i hope you get it sorted out.
    Yeah, I thought that was a bit odd... I guess they just went by the number on the tag and didn't really look at the plant. A huge Dendrobium like that is kind of hard to miss!

Still, I don't blame the packing department... who knows who they have filling the orders, but they're always wrapped very nicely and they arrive in fantastic condition. I worked in a factory manufacturing and packing Crayola crayons as a side job when I was in college, so I know that after a while it's easy to zone out and just go into "auto" mode. I'm sure it's the same thing with orchid packing... I'm sure the packing people stop really seeing the plants after a while and just go by the numbers because they're so busy. This is a relatively big company, so there's a good chance the packing department is completely separate from the ordering department. Anyway, I don't blame the packers. I'm sure they're working hard.

What I'm curious about is how this plant got the wrong tag to begin with. They're all tagged as seedlings, and the tags are a pain to get off, as the twist-tie is often tangled in the roots and wrapped very tightly around the plant. So someone, somewhere deflasked a bunch of whatever this is, then somehow got it mixed up with Phal parishii. That's where the problem started.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find a response in my inbox just a short while ago from a very kind employee promising to straighten it all out if I could provide photos of the plants and the tags. I just got done sending off the pictures, so hopefully I'll get some answers soon. I'd love to know what this Dendrobium is... it's got more roots than any Dendrobium I've seen, AND it's got a keiki... it's one crazy hardy plant!! Normally I would have been beyond thrilled to get a plant like this.

And I'm excited to see what type of Vanda I got too... the "free gift" plants are normally decent-sized, well-grown, near blooming-size plants, and the one I got only has a leaf span of about 4". I'm wondering if it's an Ascocentrum. Unfortunately, they don't have any of those listed on their site, so the mystery continues. I'll keep you all posted as the drama unfolds...

This is actually kind of exciting...

And can I just tell you all how nice it is that you're all rallying to my side to help me straighten this out? I'm so thankful for all my "orchid friends!" You all are fantastic! I want to reach through the computer and hug you all! Thank you!!

Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

I can't say I'm any help with the ID, but I'm sure curious how it all turns out! Anyone can make a mistake, if they handle it well, then good for them!

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Making mistakes are easy and it happens to everyone. How a person/ company/ etc... handles the mistake speaks volumes about their character / professionalism. Good luck!

cheers,
    BD

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda

that's the truth, bruce.

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Jenn to me your plant look like Den anosmum ( maybe I'm wrong) rather than parishii by look at size and shape of the plant I have parishii relatively very short stem as compared to anosmum and Den lampongense is native to South East Asia is rather tough cane can reach up to 3 feet unlikely is lampongense here.

Real Name
    Jenn
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Whatever's in bloom today!

Quote Originally Posted by zainal abidin View Post
    Hi Jenn to me your plant look like Den anosmum ( maybe I'm wrong) rather than parishii by look at size and shape of the plant I have parishii relatively very short stem as compared to anosmum and Den lampongense is native to South East Asia is rather tough cane can reach up to 3 feet unlikely is lampongense here.
    Thanks!! I do see the resemblance to the anosmum, but that one is unfortunately not listed on the seller's website, whereas the lampongense is. When I searched through all of their Dendrobium listings, the lampongense is the closest I found to what I currently have.

Anyway, I have an email in to the company and am awaiting a response. Of course, I didn't think about the fact that it's now the weekend over here, and there's probably no one in the office!

I'm hoping for some answers on Monday!

I'll make sure to let you all know what it turns out to be!! Hehee!