Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why no copper fungicide for Dends?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Kenny
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    C Mem. Helen Brown Sweet Afton
    Member's Country Flag

I'm with you there Geoff. It will be interesting to get to the bottom of this --- as in the origins of the sources that had issues with copper treatment in dendrobium ...... concentration used, amount used, what effects, consistency in issues among a wide variety of dendrobium etc.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Could it not simply be a level of sensitivity? Not all plants are created the same, after all.

What I've heard is not only dendrobiums, but copper should also be avoided for thin-leaved plants like coelogyne, zygopetalum, etc.

You might be right though, this could be something based upon a few folks who used copper in to great a concentration or too frequently, so damaged the plants, and that got translated into "don't use it on them..."

I found this article from Cornell University that talks mechanism, and it might give us a clue.

Real Name
    Mike
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

I watch the monthly Greenhouse Chats with Dr. Ron McHatton, Chief Science Officer at AOS who also mentions the copper sensitivity in Dendrobiums when talking about Orchid disease treatment.
    Perhaps I'll submit a question for next weeks chat to see if he knows the specifics related to copper. Be assured if you read information in a university paper you can be assured they are not quoting "urban legends".

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    I watch the monthly Greenhouse Chats with Dr. Ron McHatton, Chief Science Officer at AOS who also mentions the copper sensitivity in Dendrobiums when talking about Orchid disease treatment.
    Perhaps I'll submit a question for next weeks chat to see if he knows the specifics related to copper. Be assured if you read information in a university paper you can be assured they are not quoting "urban legends".
    That is the sort of info' which makes it more believable.
    Over here in UK/Europe, copper fungicide has been banned for retail sale for many years ; no doubt (?) professionals can get it. When it was available, I used it on non-orchid seedlings against damping off, and found that it seemed to stop slug and snail and woodlice (there is another name for woodlice in US,but I can't bring it to mind) and I started using it for my orchids too. But in those distant days I had just a few dendrobes, which were hung up, not on the bench, so they never got the copper.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Wood lice = psocids

I think it's interesting how the U.K. has apparently overreacted on their control if chemicals. When I lived there (MANY moons ago; I was 10 years old), I would go to the local hardware/garden store and buy a couple of pounds of sodium chlorate, a garden weed killer.

When mixed with sugar, it was a fantastic solid rocket fuel, and burned so hot, you could pack it in a drinking straw, ignite the end, and cut right through a steel watering bucket (my mom was NOT happy).

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    Wood lice = psocids

I think it's interesting how the U.K. has apparently overreacted on their control if chemicals. When I lived there (MANY moons ago; I was 10 years old), I would go to the local hardware/garden store and buy a couple of pounds of sodium chlorate, a garden weed killer.

When mixed with sugar, it was a fantastic solid rocket fuel, and burned so hot, you could pack it in a drinking straw, ignite the end, and cut right through a steel watering bucket (my mom was NOT happy).
    We have had a lot of problem with terrorism for many years. It seems sensible to prevent bomb making supplies being too easily obtainable . I have no problems with that !
    I do not know if Pot. Chlorateison sale in the rest of the EU.
    The copper thingis an EU wide ban.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Concur with Rays views,,for example Bromeliads hate copper based fungicide and kills them in no time. Copper toxicity seems to be killing the roots of Dendrobium, Coelogyne in short period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    That is the sort of info' which makes it more believable.
    Over here in UK/Europe, copper fungicide has been banned for retail sale for many years ; no doubt (?) professionals can get it. When it was available, I used it on non-orchid seedlings against damping off, and found that it seemed to stop slug and snail and woodlice (there is another name for woodlice in US,but I can't bring it to mind) and I started using it for my orchids too. But in those distant days I had just a few dendrobes, which were hung up, not on the bench, so they never got the copper.