Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Now watering with 100% Superthrive

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Piper
    Mine was (and is - new pics coming soon) totally weird!

But I was just kidding about the Superthrive. I've also heard it could do that. This fellow just decided to go multi-floral on its own.

Julie
    don't kid yourself, two flowers = optimal culture!

Default A drum roll, please...

The second bud has been blooming for awhile, so it's time to post the final pics. The second bud did turn itself around on its own and opened perfectly normally with a lovely bloom.

Dr. Toshinori Tanaka from Japan has a rather entertaining Website with the content of orchid articles he feels are particularly interesting. I e-mailed him on an article he had posted from the Orchid Review about this same topic: http://www.orchid.or.jp/orchid/peopl...WS/ennew8.html

(I actually e-mailed him because the link was broken, which he remedied.) But he said uni-florals blooming multiple flowers do happen, and it's a genetic glitch where a unifloral paph thinks it can leap tall buildings. (Well, not quite his words...)

After reading the article I took another look at my plant's structure and realized a few things (that I thought were pretty cool.)

So my uni-floral guy knows in his deep genetic subconscious that he has the potential to "get up" so to speak, another flower. And he decides to go for it... Trouble is, as a uni-floral, he doesn't have the genetic blueprint for how multi-floral buds are produced. That is, usually a long infloresence with short stemmed flowers coming off, fairly close to one another. My guy only knows how to produce a single flower off his regular infloresence.

But he really wants to go for the gold (note the timely metaphor there), so he makes the best due he can. He produces a spike of the usual length and sticks a bud on that. Then he adds to that another spike of the usual length and sticks a bud on that. The 2nd bud starts the wrong way up, but he sorts it out eventually. He has no idea that his idea of multi-floral spike length isn't like that in the wild.

The funkiest part of the whole story is...his spikes always come out of a leaf axil. So he goes to the trouble of sticking a leaf atop the first spike, so that his second spike can come out of a leaf axil! All of a sudden the funky leaf made perfect sense!

I was impressed!

Julie
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Piper; February 26th, 2006 at 07:31 PM.

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

I like it... I want one... or is that two... hmm...

and interesting hypothesis.... but what if it really was the 100% superthrive? At least then we at least have a chance of duplicating this phenomenon...

Such good info Julie! Great photos of your beauty to boot.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

You met Toshie!!! I've been e-communicating with him for some time. We were going to go to the Tokyo show together, but then I was sent to Oz instead. Nice flower, first time I've seen one do that.

Very nice "multifloral" paph blooms, Julie. They look much more lovely and interesting with two flowers instead of one. First time, I have seen something like this too! They say the culture must be optimal for the single-flower paphs to do this! You must have the "Green Thump" or "The Green Sausage Finger"! Hehehe!

Actually the way it blooms and the explainations provided do make sense if you know something about the sciences of developmental biology!

Cheers. Hoa.

[quote=Hoa Tony Nguyen]You must have the "Green Thump" or "The Green Sausage Finger"! Hehehe!
    [quote]

I've never actually been accused of have a green thump before.
    For that matter, I'm not even sure what color my thump is...

Julie

Hoa, you spoke of Minho Princess variety, and that reminded me of this post from quite a ways back. It's a group of Paph. seedlings from the same cross, showing an incredible variety of form and coloration. I always keep this in mind when I look at orchid blooms - particularly when it's a cross I have and there's a lot of difference in the flowers.

By the way...the cross in this photo is the same as my 2-for-1 paph in this thread!

http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...=6901#poststop

Julie

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

[quote=Piper][quote=Hoa Tony Nguyen]You must have the "Green Thump" or "The Green Sausage Finger"! Hehehe!

I've never actually been accused of have a green thump before.
    For that matter, I'm not even sure what color my thump is...

Julie

Well, I don't want to be accused of spreading rumors.... But - I have heard some pretty interesting ones concerning Julies thump.....

My thump, alas, is now purple and swollen...and it diesn't type very well!

Julie