Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with a species that will not re-bloom in the area you live in?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Kim
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattaleya and Intergeneric
    Member's Country Flag

How close do you live to the Colorado River? It isn't your climate that makes these hard to grow it may be your water supply. Colorado River areas and Southern California (although still the best place to grow Cyms. temp. wise, the poor water source in S. Cali. is the main cause of browning tips)do not provide an adequate water source for these plants. Rain water and distilled water may be needed as a substitute. Other than the water problem, I agree with all of what Ron stated above about the fertilizing (Cyms. are very partial to this) and bringing it in during frost.

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

My local orchid nursery says our water is perfect for growing orchids. They even stated to use water right out of the tap on them. Seems counter intuitive but I think they are experts in local growing conditions.

I have also read somewhere to not use distilled water on orchids.

Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

I'd give it a try before you give up on it! Of course I say that having a cymbidium in my living room that I haven't even seen blooming... hehe I did find out on this forum that they don't like to be repotted and will sulk for years after that, but yours is already happy enough to bloom. Mine is a start from someone elses and not likely to bloom for years as it is. Oh well! I bought it on sale with no idea about those things. At least the parent plant was happy enough to bloom 90 miles from here (though the climate is different). I really don't like the way its potted and will likely repot it this winter, it'll only set it back a year or so and might make it enough happier to speed it up! I'm an optimist!

You could always give it to some unsuspecting soul when its done blooming... lol

Real Name
    Kim
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

I would agree that your nurseries know best. Just that some areas of Colorado have salt issues with their water. You may not be in those areas. Its kinda like the Chlorine in ours they have more of it in the water just a few miles down the road whereas we only have issues with it maybe once a week. That is why I asked. Also, you had mentioned Cyms. not being one of the strongest to grow in your area so I thought maybe a change would work.

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

It is happily in bloom now with a 4th flower spike emerging now. My local nursery says they don't even bother selling them as they are hard to get to re-bloom here which is why I started the thread on the subject. If after 1 year post-blooming and I don't get a repeat flowering, I'd be happy to send it to you so you could give it a try.

Real Name
    Kim
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Sounds to me like you are doing a beautiful job. As, I mentioned, the Chlorine in our water prevents our nursery from being able to care for them properly and my rescued animals at home limit my spacing on Orchids. I cut them off from my orchid room. Besides, I need to accomodate an Olympic Halo someday .

Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

If you decide you don't want it, let me know come spring, I'd take it off you hands after the weather warms up. I really think you'd have fun trying to rebloom it at least one year before you give up though! You don't know whether or not it will bloom for you! I can, however, pretend I have room for another large orchid... hehe

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Yes, I'll give it a year after this blooming completes. I Just don't have room for those that don't want to re-bloom. It is my largest orchid and it needs to perform to stay at my house.

I will keep the boards updated to my progress on the re-bloom effort once underway.

Then if after a year and I have no success, then it will be up for adoption.

Real Name
    Sean Houtman
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Member's Country Flag

A few people here in Albuquerque will grow Cymbidiums. They recommend leaving the plant outside till the temperatures get into the 30s. The guy I bought my plant from said to leave it out until December, but there was a hard frost well before that, it burned all of the leaves off of my plant. Didn't stop it from sending up two spikes.

I would do as someone else said, and summer it outside, up until the temperatures are in the mid 30s. They can generally take a light frost, but you should bring them in if you can.

Real Name
    Mesmer
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill

I just got my first cymbidiums and really wanted to say thank you for this thread. It's been very helpful. Crossing my fingers for success with my plants.
    Posted via Mobile Device