Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

View Poll Results: How hard has it been for you to grow and rebloom you cym?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1--You sit there and watch it bloom like crazy.

15 13.04%
  • 2--Fairly easy, many times it blooms annually.

28 24.35%
  • 3--So-so

29 25.22%
  • 4--Fairly hard, blooms every 2+ years...

13 11.30%
  • 5--Impossible or Too difficult!

30 26.09%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Growing Cymbidiums (Poll)

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/Cattleya species
    Member's Country Flag

Default Growing Cymbidiums (Poll)

Other than the poll, do you grow your cyms indoors/outside/greenhouse? Just curious, as I'm not used to growing cyms because of their size but I notice that with big leaves come huge spikes too...

Real Name
    Tim
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

ok let me start by saying, my mother grows them and so very well... and for what seems hardly no effort at all!!!

but

I have issues with growing them! in fact I have never flowered a Cymbidium in all my life!!! I have killed (yes, I am terrible) a few of them. Of course lately, I have got a couple more which have somehow stayed alive. I try and not fuss over them as much as the other orchids... which means they tend to dry out a bit more and is in a grow area which isn't as well shaded, in fact gets half a days sun so fingers crossed...

cheers
    tim

ps this is a good topic as I would like to know more about how everyone grows theirs.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All types
    Member's Country Flag

I cheated! mine is a warm grower Golden Elf , it blooms 2 times a year . I did have quite a few , they bloomed once a year , once I figured out that warm when in bud equals bud blast Good poll. Gin

Southern California is very good for cymbidiums, at least for most of them anyway. They bloom like crazy around here if you know what to do. And they love growing outside. In fact, they hate my greenhouses.

Many of my cymbidiums are already in bloom. Should I entertain everyone by posting a few pictures? (Just kidding!)

Cheers. Hoa.

My Grow Area
    On a Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Pleurothallis

Funny this topic should arise. The other day I went out into my shadehouse to check on my 'chids,(wich I havent done in a really long time) only to find three cyms with huge spikes and buds! I picked these up at a retirement home yard sale, 15 orchids (very large) for ten bucks!
    This is a monumentous occasion for me seeing as I have only ever killed cyms, never one flower till now!!!

They seem really easy.
    Basically spent from May to Sept outside(afternoon sun).Then in the g/h for a couple of months.Now in a spare unheated bedroom(East facing).
    I repotted them all , some i did not remove the old medium(rockwool) & just used LECA to fill the bigger pots.Used Osmocte(slow release granules) at the beginning of the grow season as well as regular feeds with my normal feed.
    1 plant in semi-hydro is flowering really nicely.
    Cym eburneum is just about to open it,s 2 buds.

HEy hey, i grow mine under lights and infront of a south western windows.... it bloomed this year for the first time.... WOOT WOOT and it smelled so nice too....Hey u know what people should make, orchid honey, cause my orchid had sweet gue all over the place.

Hi cocanut (i.e Dani Boy)
    That is a very nice Cym that you have. I like the big blobs of purple on the lip.

See, we can bloom cymbidiums even by growing inside the house. Me too, I wish people could make orchid honey too.

Cheers. Hoa.

Thanks Hoa, here is a better pick of the plant

When i bought this plant it never came with a name.. i was wondering if anyone could point me to the right direction

Hi coconut,

Your plant is a very difficult one to figure out the name since its color is not easily classified. I tried to search for it but no avail. Is it green or lime? The flowers got these purple splashes as well so it is not exactly a pure color. I might have seen these orchids at shows or at commercial greenhouses. What I really notice is the patterns on the lip. These blotches appear on newer hybrids where they try to create miniature cymbidiums through species like cym. devonianum and the likes. If you can supply more info like where you purchase it (breeder name, etc...), it might help. I will look around and there are big shows ahead. I will keep this in mind and might be figure this out for you.

Have fun.

Cheers. Hoa.