Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possible Bug Problem on phal orchid

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Sylvia

Anteater, you said you have not been able to get rid of them completely? Did you change the medium?

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

Being new and using a number of sources for my info that I acted on with, I used 70% isopropol undiluted with a couple drops of dish soap on my zygo, catt and oncidium without any negative effect on the plants. 2 treatments of that last week and one insecticide treatment on Sunday. And I have not seen a bug since. And I am looking for them. Because of where I live, if I can kill them before they become an infestation, I can be bug free and only have to worry about bugs when I bring in a new plant.

Real Name
    Taylor
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by New Orchid Lover View Post
    Anteater, you said you have not been able to get rid of them completely? Did you change the medium?
    No, I have not been able to get rid of them completely. I haven't tried wholeheartedly either, since they aren't much more than an annoyance. I have changed medium, but that doesn't much matter unless I could repot all the orchids at the exact same time, not have any flyers, and not miss any of the larva. It does knock them down considerably though. Moisture has a lot to do with their proliferation. I'll probably give it a shot again in the spring or summer when they start flying around and everyone else complains. I did try one other treatment, but didn't follow through on it, so I can't post anything constructive about it.

Speaking of changing the potting medium, I do seem to remember that is how I got the little buggers to start out with. I bought someone's special premixed orchid media...complete with hitchhikers.

Keep in mind that the bug that I am talking about may not be the same bug you are talking about... a picture?

Real Name
    Sylvia

Quote Originally Posted by 78Terp View Post
    Being new and using a number of sources for my info that I acted on with, I used 70% isopropol undiluted with a couple drops of dish soap on my zygo, catt and oncidium without any negative effect on the plants. 2 treatments of that last week and one insecticide treatment on Sunday. And I have not seen a bug since. And I am looking for them. Because of where I live, if I can kill them before they become an infestation, I can be bug free and only have to worry about bugs when I bring in a new plant.
    Did you use the isopropol and dish soap on the leaves only or on the roots as well?

---------- Post Merged at 11:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
    No, I have not been able to get rid of them completely. I haven't tried wholeheartedly either, since they aren't much more than an annoyance. I have changed medium, but that doesn't much matter unless I could repot all the orchids at the exact same time, not have any flyers, and not miss any of the larva. It does knock them down considerably though. Moisture has a lot to do with their proliferation. I'll probably give it a shot again in the spring or summer when they start flying around and everyone else complains. I did try one other treatment, but didn't follow through on it, so I can't post anything constructive about it.

Speaking of changing the potting medium, I do seem to remember that is how I got the little buggers to start out with. I bought someone's special premixed orchid media...complete with hitchhikers.

Keep in mind that the bug that I am talking about may not be the same bug you are talking about... a picture?
    I don't have a picture of the bug since it was very tiny and I only saw it once. I don't think mine came with the premixed.....it was a sealed bag from boxstore. I'm going to try to clean the plant well and repot it.

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

I only did the leaves and the flower but know that using it on the flower can damage the flower. Bug can damage the flower so I used it on it anyway. It didn't seem to damage the flower. But does it shorten the life of the flower? To me, it would be worth potentially losing a flower to prevent a bug problem.

Real Name
    Sylvia

Here's an update: I've repotted my orchid and while removing the medium, I did not see any cotton like substance but I did see miniscule black bugs at the base and one or two white ones. I just drenched the whole thing with water and then sprayed some diluted rubbing alcohol at the roots and leaves. Then i rinsed the roots again before repotting. I was very surprised to see that it did not have many green roots....a lot of yellow and some dead ones. I'm surprised because during the spring my orchid bloomed on the two pre-existing spikes and each one had 5 blooms. The leaves look very healthy and a new one has come out since then. I had to break some of the green roots because they were coming out from all places in the slitted pot. I hope that it will make it.