Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: DIY semi-hydro pot for orchids?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Member's Country Flag

Default DIY semi-hydro pot for orchids?

Hi

I am not able to buy ready-made semi-hydro pots locally and am not very impressed with my own converted plastic cups. Has anyone come up with a creative DIY semi-hydro pot for orchids*, or just anything that's more attractive than disposable cups?

(*By which I mean a tallish, fully enclosed plant pot with drainage holes on the side 1 to 1.5 inches up from the bottom, creating a small water reservoir in the base of the pot. The water wicks up though expanded clay media to the plant roots.)

Thanks

Real Name
    Ryan Walsh
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Member's Country Flag

I'm not sure about Australia, but here we have restaurant and catering supply stores where you can get deli containers in bulk (25-50 per sleeve) for very cheap. They come in a range of different sizes and thicknesses so you can pick your own. To the best of my knowledge these are exactly what are sold as semi hydro pots online with the addition of the holes drilled out. Although these stores do most of their business wholesale they are open to the public for party supplies and things like that.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dens and Phals for now.....
    Member's Country Flag

Here in the U.S. I use Chinese soup Take-out containers. Its a win win for me because i eat my Won-Ton soup, then clean the container, add holes, plant an Orchid and enjoy! If i need another pot, Then i know i get to have some more yummy soup!

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirytman View Post
    Here in the U.S. I use Chinese soup Take-out containers.
    As a matter of fact, the very first successful S/H pot had, in a former life, brought home won ton soup from the restaurant!

Any plastic container can be used - be creative. I cruise big-box stores, dollar stores, etc. for likely containers. I have used vases, small trash cans, even styrofoam coolers. They don't have to be clear, although, while opacity does prevent algae growth, it does make it tougher to see if the plants need watering.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    As a matter of fact, the very first successful S/H pot had, in a former life, brought home won ton soup from the restaurant!

Any plastic container can be used - be creative. I cruise big-box stores, dollar stores, etc. for likely containers. I have used vases, small trash cans, even styrofoam coolers. They don't have to be clear, although, while opacity does prevent algae growth, it does make it tougher to see if the plants need watering.
    Ray, I've been using plastic containers I get from the local box store or hardware stores. They are in the paint section, and are probably used for stain or paint. They are somewhat translucent, and come in 1 and 2 1/2 quart sizes. I use a soldering iron to melt the holes in where I want them. The problem is that sometimes I need an in-between size, and after exposure to sunlight for 9 months or more, they become brittle to the touch. I wish I could find a material that is more long-lasting, and that I can get in more different sizes.

Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

I found a potato salad that I like that comes in a pot exactly the size of the 6" S/H pots I've seen for sale. Of course its printed with potato salad information, but the size and shape is perfect! I've used other potato salad containers, but they are a bit short and wide and don't wick as well as the taller, thinner ones. I'm thinking of taking a good look at some of the small plastic buckets at the home improvement stores to see if I can find some good sizes and shapes, as there aren't any S/H pots available in our area (that I've found yet). I bought some 6" S/H pots online recently, love them, but I need some bigger ones for many of my plants. Shipping is so high on the pots when I only need a few of them, I am looking to be creative myself!

Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

I've seen people use glass, or ceramic, too, although you have to have the right bit to drill the holes and I suspect you take losses along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Delila View Post
    Hi

I am not able to buy ready-made semi-hydro pots locally and am not very impressed with my own converted plastic cups. Has anyone come up with a creative DIY semi-hydro pot for orchids*, or just anything that's more attractive than disposable cups?

(*By which I mean a tallish, fully enclosed plant pot with drainage holes on the side 1 to 1.5 inches up from the bottom, creating a small water reservoir in the base of the pot. The water wicks up though expanded clay media to the plant roots.)

Thanks
    I know this is a very old post but if anyone is still trying to find something...I am using deli containers and they do work. But, when I went looking for supplies here in the US so I could convert to S/H. It finally hit me, wide mouth mason jars (like you would use for canning). You can get different sizes and even wider shorter ones (they just won't work for huge plants) but, they definitely fit for most. Also, although the outside of the glass has some kind of logo either etched or shaped on it, the inside is completely smooth so they are easy to clean too!

I finally thought of these when I was cleaning and soaking a bunch of LECA and I wanted a way to store it where I could only grab about how much I needed at a time to ensure the rest wouldn't be contaminated. Now I can just pull it out, add water to the jar (with fertilizer or a root stimulant if needed) pop the lid back on and leave it to soak. I will then use a different mason jar for the actual plant since it needs the holes drilled through it! (This is my plan at least, I just am beginning to try this out so if anyone is interested in how they work let me know and I give an update!

The other nicer looking thing I have found is our dollar store has tall vases for a dollar that are about the same volume as the deli containers! So the next time I have to repot a plant I am definitely going to try one of these for a more attractive s/h pot!
    Posted via Mobile Device

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda
    Member's Country Flag

My suggestion above needs to be modified. Those containers I used break down after a while when the sunlight gets to them. I don't know if it is the formula that the plastic is made from or not. Maybe it is designed to be biodegradable after a time. Today, I use plastic vinegar bottles once I am done with the vinegar - I use it as part of my weed killer formula. I rinse VERY thoroughly, spray the label with WD-40 and after a few weeks it peels off much easier. Then I use a soldering iron to melt holes in the side at whatever height I need. Then I rinse it even more to get rid of any residual chemicals, and then use it. So far they last considerably longer than the containers I used to use.