Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: this common orchid need ID

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Member's Country Flag

Default this common orchid need ID

Hi again, i was trekking and came across this common orchid grown some what 7 ft on a tree in the jungle.It was flowering. Help id please.

close up of the flower

Thank you to all in advance,once again.

Robert

It's a Coelogyne sp. of some kind. Perhaps somebody else can give you more specific information.

Looks pretty big!

Hi Robert,
    Yeah, this guessing game is fun! It's nice to hear from you again and now, you give us another riddle!

I would love that you could supply us with more information. You are half a world away and giving us more info will always make our guess better.
    For example, do you remember where the inflorescence emerged? Did it come from a mature pseudobulb (from the base of the mature bulb or from the top of the mature bulb) or a young developing pseudobulb (from the top of the bulb)? Do the flowers have any fragrance? BTW, a face-to-face picture is always better, a side picture like that will always give us problem in recognizing other features of the flower.

However, you might be in for some luck. Unless you will supply me with other information, I would incline to say that the plant you saw is probably a Coelogyne rochussenii. This Coel. species is endemic to Borneo and it blooms during the winter (that is now!). The look of the jungle plant is also similar to what I have seen. The problems that I still have are the flower count although the blooms could vary if that plant did not get enough light or are still maturing and the shape of the lip. The lip shape problem could be resolved if you provide us with more pictures of the flower.
    I include a few pictures of the species for you. So far, I see that the color matches, the pattern on the lip matches, the appearance and drooping of the petals and sepals also seem to match, the size and shape of the bulbs also match. But you know, there are a lot of Coel. species and many of them are quite similar. Maybe you saw a natural hybrid?

Have fun!!!
    Cheers. Hoa.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Hoa Tony Nguyen; January 19th, 2006 at 11:39 PM.

Member's Country Flag

Thanks Tony. As i don't grow it, but it was hanging in the jungle on one of the tree,i can only provide info that i can recall. The inflorescence came from the base of the mature bulb. Fragrance - very light. It grows in heavy shaded area. What i has seen resemble very much of the pics you provide. There are plenty of them around and i will take a close observation when the chance arise. Thank you very much

Robert

At this point, I am quite certain that the plant you saw is a Coelogyne rochussenii. The location where the inflorescence emerges is consistent with what I know. People said that the flowers have a lemon scent, so look for it.

Cheers. Hoa.