Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spring water to water orchids?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Annette
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Slippers, Moth, Psycopsis, etc
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    Sorry people, but I am going to have to disagree with a lot of what has been said here!

Rather than occupying lots of forum space to do so, I'll offer a link to an article published in the January 2014 AOS "Orchids" magazine on the subject, by one of my favorite sources of information: Water Your Orchids
    Ray - thanks for the link!! I got my 1st OAS Orchids in February so I missed out on this issue and your article. Much appreciated!! It answers all my questions with regard to water quality.
    Last edited by OrchisAmor; February 27th, 2014 at 02:32 PM.

Real Name
    Wade Hollenbach
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything in bloom :)
    Member's Country Flag

That's a very nice article, Ray. In my eyes, there are 2 steps to finding if your water is good for orchids. The first is to have a sample analyzed. The second is to discuss the results with someone who is knowledgeable in interpreting it. A local university usually has someone qualified to do this and often for a minimal amount. Water quality and fertilizer use is the least understood part of orchid growing and is often the difference between a plant that grows and flowers poorly and one that is a show stopper.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Sorry people, but I am going to have to disagree with a lot of what has been said here!

Rather than occupying lots of forum space to do so, I'll offer a link to an article published in the January 2014 AOS "Orchids" magazine on the subject, by one of my favorite sources of information: Water Your Orchids
    Great article Ray. I firmly believe that growing orchids is more science than an art,I would love to be a scientist than a magician.Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Thank you folks.

Wade - to your point, I just wish I was knowledgeable about interpreting water quality reports! That's on the list of stuff to study.

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Member's Country Flag

Don't do it.... If an orchid calls for distilled water or some form of water without minerals/very PURE water, do not put anything else in there..I learned the hard way. ALSO, WHAT IS IN THE SPRING WATER DEPENDS ON WHAT SPRING IT COMES FROM..oops, sorry for the caps. You have no way of knowing.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Quote Originally Posted by citywildcat View Post
    Don't do it.... If an orchid calls for distilled water or some form of water without minerals/very PURE water, do not put anything else in there..I learned the hard way. ALSO, WHAT IS IN THE SPRING WATER DEPENDS ON WHAT SPRING IT COMES FROM..oops, sorry for the caps. You have no way of knowing.
    All orchids benefit from low-EC water, but I think the "don't put anything in it" is a bit rash. They do need nutrients, after all. The trick is providing them within the correct pH range.

As pure water has no buffering capacity, if you add a more-or-less "standard" fertilizers - Miracle-Grow, Dyna-Gro, Gro-More, etc. - the pH will plummet, and can be damaging to root tissues. You can either adjust the pH back up to the 5.5-6.5 range that seems to be a good general range for pretty much any orchid, or use a fertilizer that gives you that right from the start, like the MSU RO formula or K-Lite.

As to the spring water, yes you are correct that you just don't know what's in it, but in all cases it will have more minerals than will pure water, and likely a lot more, which is why it tastes so good!

Real Name
    Jesus Carreno
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Everything that blooms for me
    Member's Country Flag

Very interesting article, Ray. Thank you por posting this link.