Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring water to water orchids?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Annette
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Slippers, Moth, Psycopsis, etc
    Member's Country Flag

Question Spring water to water orchids?

I've heard of RO, distilled, and rain water used to water orchids, but what about Spring Water?

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

What I have read says distilled water is not good for orchids. There are no minerals in it. Rain water is ok especially if in a water challenged location. Some jurisdictions now prohibit rain water collection. I don't know anything really about reverse osmosis.

I would think spring water would be among the better choices.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Very good question Annette. from what I have been reading

1. Distill water is too pure and contains no nutrients. would possibly top-up with a 50-60 ppm balanced fertilizer that includes micro and macro nutrients. Distilled water if used standalone, does not contain Ca,Mg other vital trace elements and standalone does not provide any good and actually could be harmful for orchids in long term. I would possibly use pure distilled water only for flushing the media once a fortnight

2. Rainwater is best as it carries natural nutrients and i have measured the ppm in my area to be around 20-30 ppm. weekly and weakly feeding of balanced + micro + macro would be sufficient.

3. Spring water. there are lot of springs with lot of variations. I would possibly look at the TDS of the spring water to decide

---------- Post Merged at 06:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by 78Terp View Post
    What I have read says distilled water is not good for orchids. There are no minerals in it. Rain water is ok especially if in a water challenged location. Some jurisdictions now prohibit rain water collection. I don't know anything really about reverse osmosis.

I would think spring water would be among the better choices.
    Interesting info Harvey. There are regulations here that mandate harvesting rain water. what would be the possible rationale that prohibits collecting rain water?. mosquito breeding or some other ecological imbalance?

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

I live in a semi-arid environment. Denver Water claims all water that falls and runs off as theirs. They want it in the reservoirs.

---------- Post Merged at 06:38 PM ----------

Whether Denver Water pursues the average home owner that collects is doubtful. But if it was large scale and observable, I bet they wouldn't hesitate to take action.

Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

Spring water is different from every spring, even if it is truly spring water and not just some filtered tap water with good marketing. Unless you have some way to know the quality of the spring water it is at least a bit of a gamble. Real spring water can be hard, or have pH problems, or be contaminated with just about anything. Rain water also varies in quality, and requires a way to collect and store it without it getting contaminated or stagnant, and getting enough of it is certainly a problem in some areas. Distilled water and RO water are both just purified water. They both vary in quality too, from very pure to extremely pure, and there is no difference between them. The whole point in using distilled water or RO water is that it is clean and consistent, but it can't be used alone. You must use appropriate fertlizer regularly to provide the minerals that plants need, but that is true no matter what your water source. If your tap water isn't good enough, a RO system is one way to generate as much good quality water as you need. Whatever your water source, there is no substitute for KNOWING the quality of the water, and planning your fertilizer and other culture appropriately.

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

In the American west, water politics are very difficult. No water, no life here. In many places, if it isn't watered by irrigation, it is not green.

Real Name
    Annette
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Slippers, Moth, Psycopsis, etc
    Member's Country Flag

I'm in a situation here in Salt Lake City that my water is very hard (lots of salts )-if used, I've seen major salt deposits on plant leaves, edges of pots, and even house plants will have salt residue left in the soil as the water evaporates. I haven't got a specific water quality reading for my tap water, but since seeing this on other houseplants, I've been extremely hesitant in using any tap water for my orchids (whether I add fertilizer or not).

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Annette, Would suggest you get hold of a TDS meter and pH meter and measure the quality of water and then take it fwd.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Sorry people, but I am going to have to disagree with a lot of what has been said here!

Rather than occupying lots of forum space to do so, I'll offer a link to an article published in the January 2014 AOS "Orchids" magazine on the subject, by one of my favorite sources of information: Water Your Orchids

Real Name
    Kim
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattaleya and Intergeneric
    Member's Country Flag

I can understand regulations applied seasonally like during droughts. guess wait til winter and stock pile snow, no regulation on that yet is there (and it has to melt into water right ).