Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transition from artificial light to outside

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

Default Transition from artificial light to outside

I have read that when changing from one condition to another the root system has to grow new roots to acclimate to the new condition. That said, is it better to leave the plants grow under artificial lights or transfer plants, suitable to outside condition, outside? I have moved some of my orchids into a small greenhouse like setting. Is this a bad idea?
    Last edited by moniluhum; April 5th, 2014 at 04:38 PM.

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

I think for the root system,the acclimation is related to changing the medium the orchid is potted in. I'm not saying moving from indoor under lights to outdoor doesn't cause the plant some acclimation but not the same way. In this case it would think it is the light amounts and intensity that need acclimation of.

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

The concern I have is there is a big difference between art. lights and outdoors. Particularly when the outside lighting varies daily. How long would the acclimation take? If the plant doesn't acclimate well, will the plant die? I put some of my orchids in the greenhouse were they got strong indirect lighting for about a week. The weather turned to cloudy and cold so I put them back inside. Am going crazy or what?

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

It will take daily monitoring to see if there is a negative reaction to the change. Sunburn is probably the most common acclimation issue going outside. Then I would think is amount of watering or how dry they get between waterings.

If there seems to be a negative reaction, I doubt it would kill the plant unless you are not paying attention and let it go too far for too long.
    Last edited by 78Terp; April 5th, 2014 at 08:30 PM.

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

So if a plant is growing with nice roots and I put it under indirect light as in a greenhouse, assuming it is not put under severe conditions, the plant should roots should not be affected? I hear it is good to put Catt.s for example outside during the summer, but I don't want doing so negatively affected the plant or root system. I thank you for your responses. Has anyone out there experienced this dilemma?

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Assuming there is not a drastic change in humidity from one location to the other I'd say that is correct (going to higher humidity is easier on the plant than to lower). Avoid sunburn and you are there.

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Your biggest issue would be light. I grow most of my plants outdoors. Plants that are relatively temperature tolerant do better when temp swings are gradual. In and out, in and out seems to cause more problems than it prevents. Of course, those are my plants in my conditions. Like Harvey said, daily observation is essential. Orchids are far tougher than most think...avoid shocking them by changing temps and light too quickly and check them daily.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Wade Hollenbach
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything in bloom :)
    Member's Country Flag

I agree pretty much with what the others have said. I'll add that if you are giving your plants decent conditions, I would be reluctant to move my plants outside until the weather is suitable for them. I would also like to say that putting plants outside can allow pests to enter into your collection. When you move your plants back inside it might be good to very closely inspect each plant for insects. Since this can also mean inside the pots, submerging them in an insecticide every 3 days for about 2 weeks is about the only way I know to take care of the problem. I am planning a greenhouse to be built soon and I hope to not need to move any plants outside. I might make an exception with the cymbidiums though. Those fall evenings in the 40s really help set the flower spike development.

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

Not to be redundant here, but changing the condition of a newly growing plants (roots) as long as the conditions are not severe, will not negatively affect the new roots? Is that correct?

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Roth's
    Member's Country Flag

Roots should be fine.
    I grow under lights(HPS) & in a greenhouse , does not seem to be much adjusting time needed for my plants if any.
    I often have put plants out that are just spiking & this does not effect their development.Sure like others have said if you
    move orchids to an environment that is way different then expect some adjustment/problems.I actually try to move my plants out
    when the weather is expected to be fairly benign.When going from greenhouse to growroom the HPS light is moved further away from
    the plants to start , over a month or so i will gradually lower the fitting.Why ? because in the UK getting 12 hrs of uninterrupted sunlight
    is rare .