Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Orchid Diseases

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

I too, have an issue with my Phal... The lower two leaves are droopy. But one of them has turned yellow-green and as of a few days ago it started to get a wet look on one of the two droop leaves. I am not sure what to do so that this plant doesn't die. Its in full bloom....

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  29.5 KB

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

soft water markings in the phal leaves look like a bacterial infection. Cut the leaves and apply bactericide on this and orchids around this.

This is the only orchid/plant I have... When u say "soft water marking" what exactly do u mean... I have town water so no well water... I know when I cut the leaf off to use alcohol on the knife to sterilize it. What kind of bactericide should I use? I heard u can use cinnamon as well, have u heard of this? There are still tons of flowers on the plant and I dont want it to die due to me.... I got it for Valentine's Day!

Member's Country Flag

That's the way one of the leaves look like today

Name:  1399955584.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  189.3 KB

Real Name
    lijun
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    exploring and getting greedy
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Annie18 View Post
    Hello! I'd like to ask you some advice. I get orchid care tips on my email and yesterday I read that "Listerine - this "2-in-1" home remedy can be used as a spray at full strength for short periods (about 2-3 consecutive days is okay) as a preventative measure on your orchids... Simply spray your plant lightly once a week or so, and you'll have yourself a quick and easy way to keep away unwanted pests and disease, and ensure your plant stays healthy".
    Has anybody used Listerine like this? Should I use it only on leaves or also on the pot mix?
    ive tried listerine,.. from an instuctional video,... i played the video while doing while doing all the instructions,.. he said put listerine full strength,.. after i was done,.. later after the whole instruction he said: "but dont use the blue and other listerine, only the classic one, the blue and other would poison your orchid,.. " ,.. while i just used the green,..." thankfully no damage whatsoever,... but it didnt do anything to brown dots i had on my orchid leaves,....

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by lijun View Post
    ive tried listerine,.. from an instuctional video,... i played the video while doing while doing all the instructions,.. he said put listerine full strength,.. after i was done,.. later after the whole instruction he said: "but dont use the blue and other listerine, only the classic one, the blue and other would poison your orchid,.. " ,.. while i just used the green,..." thankfully no damage whatsoever,... but it didnt do anything to brown dots i had on my orchid leaves,....
    Usually the brown dots or discoloration is a tissue damage and is permanent is usually not reversible. All you do is to ensure that the dots don't spread to new leaves and allow the plant to take its action.
    I would still refrain from using/suggesting listerine

---------- Post Merged at 01:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Annie18 View Post
    That's the way one of the leaves look like today

Name:  1399955584.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  189.3 KB
    From what I see, the leaves look droopy and roots are bad too. just keep misting some water (rain water/RO water would be good )and refrain from watering the media till it recovers. You could improve the humidity by trying a sphag and bag method

Member's Country Flag

Can you explain what is RO water and the media? Can I use the mist with fertilizer? Should I cut off the leaves and the spikes?

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

RO water is reverse Osmosis water. water which contains very less dissolved salts. Media is the medium on which the phal is . don't use any fertilizer at this stage. you could use KLN or seaweed extract to promote root growth. you don't have to cut all the leaves, just trim the leaves that are infected (one on the image first posted today) with a sterilized knife and use a fungicide (physan 20).

Member's Country Flag

What other fungicide can I use?

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

I am not sure which part of the world you are in. You could see if you could get a formulation on Thiophanate Methyl 70% w/w or Carbendazim 50%. I alternate between these two formulations