Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Sad, Dendrobium Harveyanum

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

Unhappy My Sad, Dendrobium Harveyanum

I bought this orchid knowing it would be in less than excellent condition. Boy, was I underwhelmed. But I decided to keep it as it is rather hard to find at all.

I am hoping to be able to give it what it wants to turn around and grow. Currently, there are no new growths or roots. Looks to be just holding on. Does it need a fungicide dip or similar? Any thoughts other than give it up or send it back are appreciated. Now I get to see if I am a real orchid grower or not!

And without further trashing of the Dendrobium Harveyanum, here it is!
    Name:  5838e2ef-65e3-446d-b7a7-7dfc31963cba.jpg
Views: 2591
Size:  297.1 KB
    Name:  bc307010-b8f9-4e0f-9bb9-80b66e006fe9.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  282.3 KB
    Name:  9d276203-6379-473d-9430-36d962178100.jpg
Views: 1450
Size:  271.9 KB

Real Name
    jason
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

I've never grown this Dendrobium, but I would say to give it a little seaweed extract bath and good conditions and new growth will find you. I'd do a mild fungicide dip as well. I won't give up on a sympodial orchid easily. I found a random single Stanhopea backbulb on a shelf in my office that had sprouted a growth and was growing roots. It had to have been there for a couple of months!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

This is my current culture guide from:
    by Marni Turkel / Originally Published in Orchids Magazine

Selected quotes of the article:

....Dendrobium harveyanum comes from a classic monsoon climate with heavy rainfall and the accompanying cloudy skies in spring and summer, which are then followed in autumn and winter by no rainfall, bright light with cool nights and warm days. By winter’s end, the humidity is low, and most likely the plants receive little moisture, even from early morning dew. ....

....When in active growth during the spring and summer, this plant receives moderately bright light with a balanced fertilizer at half strength for two out of three waterings. Daytime temperatures are in the 75 to 80 F (24 to 27 C) range and nighttime temperatures drop to 55 F (13 C). As autumn comes and the growths mature, fertilizer is discontinued and the frequency of watering is reduced, so the plant is quite dry between waterings. In late October or November, the plant is moved to a bright location in the greenhouse, where it receives no water. The daytime temperatures at this time of year are usually between 55 and 65 F (13 and 18 C), but will rise to 80 F (27 C) on sunny days. The night temperature is usually about 50 F (10 C), but the plant has experienced a few nights of 38 F (3 C) with no ill effects. I do not usually start watering the plant regularly again until the spikes have developed in the spring. I was once told an easy way to remember the dry winter rest period: withhold water from Halloween until Valentine’s Day (October 31st and February 14th). ....

---------- Post Merged at 06:15 PM ----------

On further inspection (and actually visible in the earlier pics) I did find one good root. A bit yellow on its end.
    Name:  f2e46c85-f6a0-4b52-b08e-7df2912a5410.jpg
Views: 1313
Size:  271.5 KB

And this time of year, it resides hanging next to my encyclia megalantha which seems happy with the environment. It has grown a lot of new roots this spring. I can't tell if it threw a new growth on me without my noticing it or not. But it appears to like being mounted.
    Name:  9de6cc2c-8819-4ded-8344-de5f8b04ade1.jpg
Views: 1980
Size:  295.9 KB

Real Name
    Zuoxin-liu

Hi Harvey,it looks more like a Den brymerianum. I noticed that it has been waken up. A new growth can be seen near the root of the first stem. Keep it in warm,bright place. Water it after the stick dry. After new roots occur, spray 0.01-0.05% fertilizer frequently.

Real Name
    Tom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Almost all species...
    Member's Country Flag

I agree with san. The plant looks like Den. brymerianum to me also.

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Drat!

I have to agree that it does not look to be a den harveyanum. I just found some pics of the canes of den harveyanum and that is not the canes that I have.

I have to agree that it is den brymerianum.

Thanks guys! My search for den harveyanum goes on. Does not change my desire to get this orchid back on the path to life.

with new root growing, it is on it's way.

Real Name
    Connie
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mini Vanda, Schombs &Encyclia.
    Member's Country Flag

If you have a plant not looking healthy. I give mine a little honey with their anti-fungal/anti-bug weekly spray. When orchids are stressed it isn't usually a good idea to give them regular fertilizers. But honey or the plant molasses will work wonders in getting sick orchids growing and recovering much faster. I need to try the plant molasses some day. I hear it is even better than my honey method.

Real Name
    Nat
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Definitely looks more like brymerianum, and actually a pretty large healthy one especially for an import. If this were my plant, I'd remount it onto wood with a small pad of that coconut fiber under the rhizome, then keep it somewhere with very bright light and good air movement (which your current setup may adequately provide, judging by your Encyclia). I'd also recommend keeping it fairly dry right now, to me it doesn't look 'awake' yet and you risk rotting the rhizome and killing the plant if it doesn't dry off quickly after watering. Increase water just a little when you see new growths start at the base, then a lot more when new roots appear. Nice acquisition, this species is very beautiful and quite uncommon in cultivation!

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by san View Post
    Hi Harvey,it looks more like a Den brymerianum. I noticed that it has been waken up. A new growth can be seen near the root of the first stem. Keep it in warm,bright place. Water it after the stick dry. After new roots occur, spray 0.01-0.05% fertilizer frequently.
    Zuoxin-liu- You are so right and you have better eyes on it from China than I did with it in my hand! I did find at least one new growth starting and perhaps a new root or a second growth.

I have had it long enough that it may have started since I received it. Now, to make it happy and keep it growing! I want a flower next year! It will get the rest described for den brymerianum as opposed to harveyanum. Harveyanum gets no water. Brymerianum gets some water but not much.

The orchid did receive a mild fungicide bath and then after air drying, gave it the seaweed extract bath.