Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Repotting help needed Monnierara Millenium Magic ‘Witch Craft’ AM/AOS

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Mary Kay
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Default Repotting help needed Monnierara Millenium Magic ‘Witch Craft’ AM/AOS

I purchased Monnierara Millenium Magic ‘Witch Craft’ AM/AOS today. It is in a 4" plastic pot. One old fat bald psuedobulb and then the new bulb with leaves. It is probably 18" high and looks very healthy. However, it is planted in moss and it seems to be old moss that is breaking down pretty badly. Also roots are kind of knotted up around the holes at the bottom and look like they have been there for some time.

Can I repot this guy now and if so, what media would it like? I have been searching for info on this guy but haven't found a lot yet. Thank you.

Name:  MilMagic_sm.jpg
Views: 2109
Size:  44.8 KB

Real Name
    lijun
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    exploring and getting greedy
    Member's Country Flag

hi again mary,.. i don't have this orchid but love the black,... it's great to have in collection...

the other may have different opinon about repotting,..
    for me,.. best time to repot or not, not gonna risk letting root rotting in old breaking down moss,..
    would treat it for fungal and bacteria before giving fresh medium...
    as for medium choice,.. maybe the others could give better advice,.. the medium we use here are very different standard,..

Real Name
    Steve
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paph Roth's
    Member's Country Flag

Do not know the genus but if it has fine roots i would go for a fine bark medium with some sphag , if the roots are more fibrous a slightly more open mix , medium bark with some sponge rock & charcoal.I would use a clear pot initially so that you can keep a close eye on the roots & should give you a better idea when to water.

Real Name
    Mary Kay
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Name:  MM_repotting mes-sm.jpg
Views: 1770
Size:  83.1 KBOk, I am in way over my head. I started repotting this guy this morning. I had to cut the plastic pot away. The moss is terrible and very broken down. Especially under the old bulb. It is like sludge. Anyway, my problem is that the roots are very firm and "crispy". They are melded together and I am afraid to break them. so, I have been working for hours with water, tweezers and trying to get the old stuff out. I still have a ways to go, but I have most of the junk that was the worst out of it. The roots are very much in the shape of the pot and are not relaxing at all.

Now what? Do i just get out as much as I can, then shove some more inside as best I can and repot. Or do I break them apart?
    Most of the roots look good. There are a few that are brown, but firm.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Real Name
    Wade Hollenbach
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Anything in bloom :)
    Member's Country Flag

The moss definitely had seen better days. I have limited experience with these, but I would use moss again, but in a clay pot. I like the way a clay pot allows the moss to "breathe" and it usually requires watering every few days. I would allow room for one good growth so maybe a 6" pot would work. Also, potting with moss usually does not result in many damaged roots - a concern as this is a little late for repotting. Most important is to give the plant a good rest starting in fall when the leaves should start to yellow and fall off. No water from November till new roots are a couple inches long except for misting if you notice the bulb shriveling. Also cool it to about 60F during that rest time. Good luck!!!

Real Name
    Mary Kay
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Wade. The guy I bought it from said it was ok to repot since it is in active growth. I had read info both ways, but with the horrible condition of the moss, I think it was better to do it now then let it rot away, The moss directly under the bulb was a dark sludge, not even recognizable as moss. I think when it was repotted previously, this area was left with old moss. The moss near the bottom seemed fairly fresh.

As I have most of my orchids outside, I am out there watering the vandas twice a day, so I will check him regularly. From the one I saw blooming, this is a stunning flower. Thanks for your help.

best time to repot these is at the start of new growth before the roots develop. But sounds like an emergency repotting was necessary. I would not try to untangle roots, they will break...shove some moss in and plant in moss surrounding roots. best of luck with it...one of the darkest chids that I have seen!!! There is a good article on Catasetinae culture here:
    http://www.aos.org/images/img_conten...catasetums.pdf

Real Name
    Mary Kay
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Thanks Ron. As I mentioned, the moss directly under the bulbs was nothing but dark sludge. It was gross. I got as much out as I could with my fingers, tweezers and sprays of water. I packed some moss back in through the few openings in the roots and planted in moss around. A few roots were darker than the rest, but all in all, the roots seemed healthy and there was new growth. I don't know how as it was so compacted

Hopefully I will still get blooms.

Real Name
    lijun
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    exploring and getting greedy
    Member's Country Flag

I found washing roots with running water with shower helps remove leftover medium. If you ever have to pull something out,.. i found it better do it when it's half wet. Very wet makes root fragile easy to break, dry makes it hard. Also now when repotting, i have new habbit to seperate root using big dringking straws. Minimum break compare to using other things.

Real Name
    Mary Kay
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Member's Country Flag

Lijun,
    Can you explain the separating roots with a drinking straw? Sounds very interesting.