Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: orchid dividing?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default orchid dividing?

so my beallara marfitch 'howards dream' is getting out of control. its about twenty pseudo-bulbs strong (which is great) but the problem im having is that all the new growths are forming in a straight line. the plant is in a bigger pot than it needs because i dont have anything in an oval shape that i can repot in. is the only hope for this beast a division? if so, is it possible to 'train' orchid growths (other than spikes/inflorescences)?

thanks, everyone, for your help!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

I don't know any way to train growths. Well, any reasonable way at least. You could always snip off the new growth and hope a growth emerges from another dormant eye, but we're orchid growers, and few of us would do such things.

One hopes they alternate left & right a bit, but if it goes on the old "train track" path, it's just calling for division. A lot of the old macrocatts do very little branching and very much straight growth across the pot. However, if your plant has a great root system, then maybe you can just bump up the pot size.

One hopes they alternate left & right a bit, but if it goes on the old "train track" path, it's just calling for division.
    i was afraid that would be the answer. too bad a good spanking wont work.

i guess ill just have to administer violence a different way -- with a sterilized blade and some cinnamon!!

itll be my first attempt at performing surgery , so if anyone has any pointers at this point, it would be much appreciated.

Real Name
    Louis J. Aszod
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

LOL!

Kewpie, just make sure when you divide that you leave at least 3 good growths per division. You might have to "bury" the older pseudobulbs into the medium somewhat to keep new growth from stair-stepping out of the pot.

We did a little pictorial instruction page on repotting a Cattleya you might want to check out if you haven't already:

Repotting an Orchid

thanks, lja! i saw that repotting page before i signed up on your forum (good job on it, by the way. it was totally clear ) and i think itll come in handy (im doing it tomorrow).

You might have to "bury" the older pseudobulbs into the medium somewhat to keep new growth from stair-stepping out of the pot.
    wont burying the older pseudobulbs cause rot?
    am i just being overly concerned? the plants i own are pretty much my kids (im not allowed 4-legged companionship under my current lease : ), so im super careful with them.
    but looking at the plant, i dont think that i can repot without burying part of a pseudobulb if i want the plant growing straight.

like i said, im doing the deed tomorrow, and ill keep ya posted on how it goes.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    paphs, phrags, catts, vandas
    Member's Country Flag

Those old growths usually tend to do fine. As long as you water in the morning, the top inch of most mixes (i.e. bark & CHC) will be half dry by nightfall. That said, when I have to bury backgrowths of any type, onc alliance or some of the climbing phrags, I like to slope the media a little. At the root zone by the new growth, and a little less at the backgrowth. It requires more careful watering to maintain that arrangement, but it gives one peace of mind at least. And orchid growers like peace of mind.

so, the deed is done...with (hopefully) no ill effects.

what was one is now three. well see how each of them does...do orchids get separation anxiety?

anyone interested in swapping something for a 5-pb (or more)division of beallara marfitch 'howards dream'?