Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's been a bad day, bud dies unexpectedly

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

Default It's been a bad day, bud dies unexpectedly

After having a horrible day at work I come home to look at my orchids in hopes that the plants that have begun blooming might help brighten my mood. I go to this plant which has never bloomed before but a few weeks prior surprised me with the emergence of a bloom. I noticed that it's label read Dtps. Sogo Vieker. I'm not sure this is correct. Well anyway, the bloom completely dried out. In fact when I went to look at it closer it fell off. Is it common for blooms to just dry off and dry like this. It wasn't the watering as I have it in S/H. I had watered it twice with RO water and MSU fertilizer. Could it be because I fertilized an orchid that was blooming. Just needing, if it's even possible, an uplifting comment.Name:  IMG_1568.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  34.2 KBName:  IMG_1569.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  62.0 KBName:  IMG_1570.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  54.7 KB

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

I haven't even been able to generate a bud on that type orchid yet. I grow lots of leaves but don't get any sheaths. You got further than I have gotten with those.

Real Name
    lijun
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    exploring and getting greedy
    Member's Country Flag

i don't have this but,.. curious about the composition of the fertilizer,...

Real Name
    Zainal Abidin Bin Othman
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Huntleya, Bollea, Cochleanthes
    Member's Country Flag

For your info Dtps. Sogo Vieker is Phalaenopsis hybrids is Monopodial yours is sympodial most likely Catt/ Brasso in their blood, so sorry .

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

I have had the plant for over a year with this tag. I had to laugh when I saw the name. Becoming more knowledgable I knew for certain it could not be Dtps for the reasons mentioned by zainal. I think when I repotted some of the plants I must have put the wrong tag on this one which means there's another plant out there misnamed as well. It kills me that it will take another year for this plant to hopefully flower again. What a true bummer.

Real Name
    lijun
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    exploring and getting greedy
    Member's Country Flag

The color of leaves look very dark from the picture (maybe the lighting or my screen shows other color, or maybe it is that dark), but a little burning tips,.. i suspect wrong culture also too heavy fertilizer.

I agree that the leaves seem very dark green, indicating insufficient light. Otherwise a healthy plant. Did you in any way change the growing coditions just before the bud died? Moving a plant in bud to warmer or colder conditions is a possible cause of bud drop, the only cure in the short term is to treat yourself to a new orchid plant, in bloom. You deserve it after you bad day

Real Name
    Kim
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattaleya and Intergeneric
    Member's Country Flag

I know this is a post from awhile ago but I read the title and my heart sank. I am sorry that u lost ur orchid but rejoice in knowing it will be back. I do agree that it may be climate not sure of the conditions u have it under. It could also be too big a pot if the roots are somewhat small or vice versa. Check the rooting and make sure they are not putting too much effort in filling the pot. Deterring the plants focus from bud to rooting can also cause a problem. That is why it is usually reccommended to repot before the spike develop

It has similar foliage to my Rhyncholaelia digbyana. Which is a Brass. Catt.

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

it does look like a Catt. I have it in S/H. it's growing another shoot. wondering if I should repot in regular media. Quite a quandary.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

If its growing a new shoot and seems happy I would not move it. The new growth is big and strong looking. I found that my catts sometimes don't complete flowering and that a temperature change can cause them to drop a flower (I accidentally chilled on that was just coming into bloom and it lost that flower for instance). Generally my take (just my own feeling though) is that if the plant is happy, it will be happier if you leave it alone and just be patient. More repotting = more stress. My catts have been loving S/H here. I still have two in bark that will be moved over when they are done blooming, the rest (I only have a few, but they seem happy here, will likely get more) are in S/H and seem very happy with it.