Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Need Some Help

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Smile Need Some Help

Can anyone tell me how I should cut the orchard plant to encourage more blooms? I have large orchards, with thick stems. I cut off the dead thin shoots once the blooms are gone but don't know how to cut the orchid so they are encouraged to grow more shoots or blooms. Thanks for your help.

OrchardFan

Some orchid types can be cut back to encourage reblooms (such as Phalenopsis or Phal., although it's never a sure thing) and many cannot. They simply do their thing once a year and when it's over you wait a season.

If yours is a Phal. or the related Dtps. genus, you can cut the flower spike back and wait and see. Be sure the leaves look healthy though. Flowering can tax the plant, and prolonged flowering can cause it to suck the energy it needs to bloom from the leaves. That can 'suicide' a weak plant.

If your plant is a Phal, and the leaves look good, look up the flower spike. There are numerous joints, or 'nodes'. The first several are close up to the spike and no flowers grew out of them. After the non-blooming nodes, you'll come to the ones where the flowers emerged, but have since dropped off. Cut the spike between the last non-blooming node and the first flowering node. Then wait.

If the spike will rebloom, you should see new growth branching off just below your cut sometime in the next month. If nothing appears, I'd cut the spike close to the plant, and let the plant put its engery into making new roots and leaves - which will give you a stronger flowering cycle next year.

Good luck!

Julie

Hi! I'd be glad to help you best I can ... but could you be a bit more specific? What type of orchid do you? Dendrobium, Catt, Phal, etc.? They all have quite different growing/flowering habits so advice on one doesn't necessarily transfer over very well to another.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WIS-Thailand
    Hi! I'd be glad to help you best I can ... but could you be a bit more specific? What type of orchid do you? Dendrobium, Catt, Phal, etc.? They all have quite different growing/flowering habits so advice on one doesn't necessarily transfer over very well to another.

I am not sure, but I will let you know as soon as I find out. Thanks! I am trying to figure out what type they are. I can tell you one blooms in white and one in a pink/purple - if that helps any, let me get back to you on this.

Quote Originally Posted by OrchidFan
    I am not sure, but I will let you know as soon as I find out. Thanks! I am trying to figure out what type they are. I can tell you one blooms in white and one in a pink/purple - if that helps any, let me get back to you on this.
    My best guestimate is that they are dendrobiums. These orchards I bought at a street fair and they are very tall, if that helps.