Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dendrobium Nobile flower bud or offshoot???

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Tweet
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Miltoniopsis, Paphs

Default Dendrobium Nobile flower bud or offshoot???

Hi guys,

So I was given this Dendrobium Nobile by my mother in law and it had three tiny shoots when I got them. It's been about a month and they have grown and I am so anxious to know whether they are flower buds or offshoots?

We did give them a winters rest with no watering or fertilizing however it is still the last month of winter and it has grown these buds for a month so is it too early to be flowers?

I'm new to this so bare with me if I don't post the photos on properly.

Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Li
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catt, Paph, Milt.&Onc.alliance
    Member's Country Flag

The upper one looks suspicious to me, it clearly resembles new growth. I do hope I'm wrong.
    This is how my dendrobium nobile looked after 1-1.5 months of developing buds. It bloomed after about 2 months counting from the day I noticed smth popping up from under the leaves.
    Name:  353bn5w.jpg
Views: 3795
Size:  33.3 KB

Real Name
    Tweet
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)

Hi Kissa, thanks for replying.

Can I ask what season did you start seeing the flower buds and what season it was when you took this photo?

Because it has become quite frosty outside I have brought the plant indoors but keep it at the glass doors so it remains cool over night around 10c and during the day it gets direct sunlight with a sheer curtain so even on the coldest days still around 18-20c.

And also do the flower buds start to appear in Winter or Spring?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Tweet
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)

Also is it normal for an offshoot to grow on the very tip of the cane?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

For this type of dendrobium, yes. It is called a keiki. You can remove the keiki once it has 4" long roots growing off of it. And pot it up.

This type of dendrobium, a nobile, does want a dry, bright rest from Halloween to Valentine's Day. Watch the canes for signs of dehydration and water them if seen. I have not myself been thru a dendrobium rest period, so all this is what I have picked up over the last year. You can mist the dens during their rest once a week or so. And water once every month (no fertilizer) depending on how humid the environment is. Resume normal water and fertilizer once new growth/buds start forming, likely around mid-February

If it doesn't get a rest, keikis are more common when you want flowers.

Those with more experience can chime in and feel free to correct me if I stated anything wrong.

Real Name
    Tweet
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)

This is the third growth which has been the slowest to grow

And another close up but couldn't focus any better with my mobile

Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

This is one of my den nobile orchids with a keiki that has yet to sprout any roots.

One the windowsill behind the nobile are 2 keikis I removed from the other nobile earlier in the summer now potted together.

Name:  085bb7b2-6146-4968-bf1b-be7dc5db76f8.jpg
Views: 6840
Size:  265.0 KB

Real Name
    Tweet
    My Grow Area
    Sunroom
    Favorite Orchid(s)

Thank you for the photo 78Terp, I am getting the feeling mine will be keikis then 
    Posted via Mobile Device

Do you think, if they turn out to be keikis, I could repot?

It looks really messy and a few keikis are growing horizontal and I don't want them to break accidentally

There are a lot of new root growth on the other canes that don't have the keikis

And while I'm at it, my son kicked the soccer ball into this den and broke off a really healthy cane, is there any way to salvage it or just bin it???

Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Li
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catt, Paph, Milt.&Onc.alliance
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chicknlegs View Post
    Can I ask what season did you start seeing the flower buds and what season it was when you took this photo?
    Errm.. no snow outside on the pic and it was blooming sometime around NY as far as I remember.. I would say I took this photo in late November or early December.

Because it has become quite frosty outside I have brought the plant indoors but keep it at the glass doors so it remains cool over night around 10c and during the day it gets direct sunlight with a sheer curtain so even on the coldest days still around 18-20c.
    Temperatures are quite acceptable, though from what I've noticed with my dends, it's watering (or its absence, to be more precise) that matters for forming flower buds the most, not low temperatures. Though it was in my case, you might have a totally different hybrid.. So you'll just have to watch how it responds to your exact conditions.

I just remember very well that I kept my poor dend pretty cold during its first rest period, but couldn't keep myself from watering at least once each 2 weeks. And the result of my activity were over a dozen of offshots. So I guess the plant decided the watering was excessive.
    Next rest period, being afraid of similar outcome, I kept it very dry, I hardly watered just once or twice during 2-3 months of rest period, soon enough it started developing buds. So I would agree with 78Terp and say that probably once a month would be perfect. Because it seems that I overdried mine. I mean it survived the flowering, but it was totally mummified after growing a crazy bunch of new growths and flowering.

And also do the flower buds start to appear in Winter or Spring?
    We don't deal with natural orchid genera when we buy some hybrid orchid in a flower shop, so it's almost impossible to predict which is more natural for them. Not to mention that orchids are being sold blooming all year through, which means excessive fertilizing and hormones usage too. So when we buy an orchid in a shop it's already with as unnatural life cycle as it can be, and it takes time for the plant to get back on its own "track".
    I would say most of my orchids tend to bloom during from October to February, but again, my experience is just about 2 years (yeah, a few phals were present in our flat 4-5 years ago, but I started taking orchids more or less seriously only about 2 years ago) so it's impossible to draw some conclusions when we are talking of such short period of time.

From what I've noticed dendrobium nobile buds looks "slimmer" at the errm.. bottom I guess)) and the tips are slightly rounded, and offshots look completely the opposite: thery are "fatter" at the place where they are connected to the bulb and have a pointed tip.

Also, I don't quite like the brownish/blackish spots on your dendrobium, one of mine had similar ones and it all ended pretty bad. So, I don't know, maybe you could apply some fungicide and bactericide just in case?

78Terp what size / roots lenght are your keikis when you separate them from the mother plant?
    I'll take a photo of my little monster )) Mine are tiny, but with quite long roots (5-6 cm). It just feels weird to let them live on their own being so small.. but I'm aftraid, that later I won't be able to separate keikis' roots from the mother plant's roots and bark at all, as they grow into the pot medium.
    Though last year dend keikis almost all died, being separated at about the same age / size (though with smaller roots). *dilemma smile*

Real Name
    Bruce Brown
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas & Slippers
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kissa View Post
    78Terp what size / roots lenght are your keikis when you separate them from the mother plant?
    I'll take a photo of my little monster )) Mine are tiny, but with quite long roots (5-6 cm). It just feels weird to let them live on their own being so small.. but I'm aftraid, that later I won't be able to separate keikis' roots from the mother plant's roots and bark at all, as they grow into the pot medium.
    Though last year dend keikis almost all died, being separated at about the same age / size (though with smaller roots). *dilemma smile*
    Saw this question and thought this might help:

cheers,
    BD