Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Systemic fungicide

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

There are several systemic fungicides for plants available in UK Garden Centres, and I find it difficult to believe that there are not more in your ones in USA - that's usually how things work. Our ones will be under different names to yours probably, but we have them made by Bayer, and also Scotts. Try googling. But they all need using with care. If you have several plants infected, try it on one, and wait and see if it kills the plant, or if it looks worse , after a dose or two and a few weeks, before going on to treat others.
    I believe that cinnamon works simply because it dries up a wet patch ; it does also have insecticidal properties - it is made from the bark of a tree which never has any flies on it, so they say ! But insecticidal properties don't actually help with fungi !
    So on the same basis as cinnamon, I have used other powders ; the obviously useful one is sulphur. Used to be called flowers of sulphur, or green sulphur. That is puffed on, and the sulphur actually is likely to kill fungus , but it is not systemic.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Actually, in addition to its drying power, cinnamon (from bark) contains cinnamaldehyde, which is a fairly potent fungicide and bactericide, and cinnamon leaf oil contains eugenol, which is even more powerful of a fungicide. (It will kill toenail fungus in 6-8 weeks, if applied topically, without toxicity, compared to a year for prescription drugs...)

Real Name
    Karen
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    I love them all.
    Member's Country Flag

Wow!! The knowledge here is amazing. Ray I have cinnamon extract, how do I mix it? Or do I?

Geoff, thank you for sharing as well.

Real Name
    Marcus Lim
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Pplnnt S'pore Golden Jubilee
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    Actually, in addition to its drying power, cinnamon (from bark) contains cinnamaldehyde, which is a fairly potent fungicide and bactericide, and cinnamon leaf oil contains eugenol, which is even more powerful of a fungicide. (It will kill toenail fungus in 6-8 weeks, if applied topically, without toxicity, compared to a year for prescription drugs...)
    I have a bottle of cinnamon powder lying about in the house; I used to scrape raw cinnamon stick with a knife. When I make cuts or anything that physically wound the plants, I just apply it directly on the wounded area. Cinnamon treatment however, seems to work on the surface only and good for general fungal prevention. One still needs systemic fungicide to reach in and destroy the more serious fungal / viral infection, like the more common Fusarium Rot.

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis

@marcuslim: You can't cure viral infections in orchids with cinnamon. Orchid viruses can't be cured by anything else for that matter.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    naoki
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Member's Country Flag

Catt Mandu, actually, viri can be eliminated from infected orchids. But it is not practical at all at this point! Here is an example:

Chien et al. 2015. Elimination of mixed 'Odontoglossum Ringspot' and 'cymbidium mosaic' viruses from Phalaenopsis hybrid 'V3' through shoot-tip culture and protocorm-like body selection. Crop Protection 67: 1-6.

Antiviral drugs against photo-virus is still under developed.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdennis14 View Post
    Is there anything natural, or organic?
    Thanks everyone.
    For certain types of fungi, Trichoderma harzianum based product is shown to be effective. It is natural and organic because it is a live fungus (which eat pathogenic fungi)! It is slash systemic, because it lives inside of the roots.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Quote Originally Posted by kdennis14 View Post
    Wow!! The knowledge here is amazing. Ray I have cinnamon extract, how do I mix it? Or do I?
    Karen, first, let me apologize for the delay responding. I was on a speaking engagement tour...

I have never used a commercial cinnamon bark oil extract. There are several ways the powder can be utilized:

• As a powder on an open wound. As has been stated above, it will dry the lesion and prevent bacterial and fungal infections through that site.
    • It can be mixed with a casein glue (Elmers) to hold it on the plant better during watering - it will eventually wash away.
    • For sprays, I take two tablespoons and put it into a pint bottle of isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Shake it up, then let it stand at least over night. Filter out the sediment (coffee filters work well), and the brown liquid is left containing cinnamaldehyde, a good fungicide, and the alcohol itself is drying of wounds, and acts as a mild insecticide, too.
    • The "cinnamon tea" can also be made with boiling water, for plants more sensitive to the alcohol, but you need to let it "steep" for at least a week.

Real Name
    Karin

I read on an orchid supply website that the cinnamon spice in our cupboards does not have antifungal/antibacterial properties. They said that only "their" special brand of raw cinnamon will work. Do you think that is true?

Real Name
    Karen
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    I love them all.
    Member's Country Flag

Ray,
    I must thank you again. Not only are you very knowledgeable, but also very caring. I am so glad you are here. YOU....on a couple of other sites as well, have taught me so very very much.

---------- Post Merged at 01:16 PM ----------

I have read that it is our regular cinnamon that we use. Ray will tell us the truth Karin, or another smart cookie on here.

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas, Phalaenopsis

@sciencegal
    I have not heard that before from anyone. But it does sound like a good sales pitch to get you to buy THEIR cinnamon!
    Posted via Mobile Device