Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: One flower on phal spike is dying

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default One flower on phal spike is dying

I bought this "mini phal" from a grocery store about a week ago. It's potted in a mix of bark and moss, and the pot has good drainage. On the ride home, the spike was slightly damaged (but not a complete snap). I adjusted the clip on the stake to above the bend, and the buds continued to open.

However, this morning, I noticed that one of the flowers looks like it's about to die. This is the only flower that looks like this so far. This is odd to me because it is in the middle of the spike, and I would assume that the oldest or the youngest flower would be the ones to show problems first. What could be the cause of this?

Real Name
    Aneta
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Onc, Catts, Dends
    Member's Country Flag

It happened to me a few times. I think that the plant is trying to make some space for other flowers. I have a pink Phal in bloom and the plant decided to abort two of the flowers but the spike was packed with them. I wouldn't worry about it.

Real Name
    Brenda Greenidge
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phalaenopsis/ Dendrobiums
    Member's Country Flag

Hi there, there was a mix up just now with my previous post, but I wanted to share this with you, there is not really anything to worry about unless your phals are too wet or not watered enough, this has happened to me already but my phals are all mounted, I use a weak mixture of fertilizer 20/20/20 and Epsom salts, about a half teaspoon each in a litre of water and soak them thoroughly every two weeks, I also water either morning or afternoon or both times depending on the weather because I live in the Caribbean islands the weather is either wet or dry and sunny, I do not know what kind of weather you have there, the plant looks healthy and I believe if you try what I do they may hold the flowers properly. I have my phals all mounted, about six of them and all have two spikes of flowers and have been getting more buds as some flowers fade off, so I do what I suggested to you, they have also been blooming since around August last year, and one of them has gotten another spike filled with buds yet to open, they get about three hours of morning sun, cool breeze the whole day and night so the heat of the sun does not really matter. I thought that if they grow in the wild just on any old place and thrive I would mount them and that is what I did, no root rot to worry about no real insects and fungus, I use insecticide and fungicide about once a month a weak solution enough to stop any problems, I did have some leaf cutting ants destroy orchid flowers in about three hours in the daytime but put bait and they are done. These are just two so you can see what I am speaking about. Name:  CIMG1270a.jpg
Views: 3370
Size:  132.8 KB Name:  CIMG1273a.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  152.2 KB

Real Name
    Kim
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattaleya and Intergeneric
    Member's Country Flag

Quack.... there are actually several causes of premature leaf droppage. Over/underwater, bugs,etc..... In your case however it seems like a classic case of mild shock which is often caused by too many environmental changes at once. In this case from the store to your car to your home. Temps change, the new owner may water different, light changes, etc..... bud blasting is a possibility in these cases too. Just blow into the next open bud and as long as there is no creepy crawlers I think you will be okay. Once re-adapted to its new conditions it should be able to be regrown without a glitch.