Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: How to safely repot Phals/Dtps in Sphagnum moss into bark media?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Member's Country Flag

Default How to safely repot Phals/Dtps in Sphagnum moss into bark media?

I've re-potted many a Taiwanese Phal jam-packed in Sphagnum moss, into bark. Most make it but only after almost all of their roots die and the plants essentially start from scratch with new roots. Pretty precarious. I'm wondering if there's a better way of dealing with roots accustomed to sphag, that have to be adjusted to bark to survive in my climate???

I ask because I've been given a lovely little Phal/Dtps from someone who does not want to take care of it. It's packed tight in sphag in a soft plastic pot. The green roots look fantastically healthy (except for some rot at the very base) and are pushing and distorting the plastic even though they have no access to air. It's tempting to leave the plant as is, because it looks so great, but we're in Autumn now and I fear it won't make it through Winter if I leave it in compacted sphag ... yet re-potting at this time of year may be even worse, given that all those plump bright green roots will most likely die in bark.

What to do? Is there a method for transplanting out of sphag that I don't know about? Or a way to keep Phal/Dtps thriving in sphag through Winter??? Phals/Dtps grow so fantastically in Sphag here in Summer - much, much better than in bark - but in Winter the opposite is usually true.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

tightly packed Sphag usually is not usually a good medium for normal household growing. Watch out closely the state of the roots. If you see indications of new root growth, you can repot. Yes, if it is a new medium, phal will have to drop its old roots and grow new ones suitable for bark medium.

you could apply a rooting harmone before you repot to promote rooting. all the very best

If you still want to keep in spag in winter, first check the condition of spag. It deteriorates very first.

You have to be very careful with watering. Don't drench phal in spag as it will take very long time to dry out in winter. Just mist daily and keep spag on more dry side.

Real Name
    Jon Wallace
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Angraecum, Masdevallia
    Member's Country Flag

Default This worked for me...

I had four Phalaenopsis from big box stores potted in moss with deteriorated root systems. After reading this paper http://www.hrt.msu.edu/faculty/Runkl...sis_Part_2.pdf I repotted my Phalaenopsis into 80% NZ medium bark and 20% NZ moss. The reason I picked this mix was this line in the paper: "For example, early research at Texas A&M University showed that plant growth was vastly improved in a medium consisting of 20 percent coarse sphagnum peat and 80 percent fir bark, compared with fir bark alone." I also used Dyna-Gro KLN (root hormone) at 1tsp/gallon with Dyna-Gro 7-9-5 1/2tsp/gallon for two waterings afterward. All have revitalized leaves and are growing new roots. Three are growing new leaves. All but one are planted in clear ventilated pots.

Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

That's interesting. Most of my Phals are a lot happier out of that tightly packed moss, I pot into a fir bark/moss mixture too (about 1/4 moss) to keep moisture up as my growing is done in the house in a very dry climate. I was at an orchid show yesterday and saw a repotting demo - he recommended that you water your Phal in moss about once a month and to avoid soaking it. I guess its really slow to dry out and you want to keep it from damp to just about dry if you don't repot. For myself, though it is a bit stressful, they just do so much better in the bark mix that I pretty much move them right over, or barely water until they are done blooming, then repot. Also, Phals like warm roots, maybe a bit of heat to the roots after you repot will keep them happier and growing roots faster.

I bought some KLN yesterday as well as more of a kelp based root stimulant to mess with. This year's orchid show was all about supplies for me, I only got one cute little Paph.