Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: 300 watt LED full spectrum lighting system

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

Default 300 watt LED full spectrum lighting system

Purchased the above to experiment more with LED lighting. Have 13w single LED lights which I have used on pals and they seem to be doing well. With such high wattage what distance should there be from the plants. Does anyone have a similar system?

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

not sure on this.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

I have been using a similar system on my cattleyas - actually mine is a 185watt system designed by Phillips, the Dutch electronic company, although not made by them - this has replaced several 400 watt metal ballast lamps on a light track, ( and reduced my electricity cost a large amount ).
    The normal reason for putting lamps high was that as well as light (good) they produce heat (bad). Since LEDs produce no heat at all ( well only a very tiny amount) I have the LEDs low enough to just miss hitting the top of the plants.
    I intend to get more , but the Company who made mine have gone bust, and I have not yet found an alternative ( in UK).

---------- Post Merged at 01:49 PM ----------

I have been using a similar system on my cattleyas - actually mine is a 185watt system designed by Phillips, the Dutch electronic company, although not made by them - this has replaced several 400 watt metal ballast lamps on a light track, ( and reduced my electricity cost a large amount ).
    The normal reason for putting lamps high was that as well as light (good) they produce heat (bad). Since LEDs produce no heat at all ( well only a very tiny amount) I have the LEDs low enough to just miss hitting the top of the plants.
    I intend to get more , but the Company who made mine have gone bust, and I have not yet found an alternative ( in UK).

---------- Post Merged at 01:53 PM ----------

I should have said that my 185 watt is made up of one infra-red LED, several red ones, a number of blue ones, and the rest white ; the proportion of each is carefully calculated ( that's where the design comes in). Phillips work - which you can find on the web, has shown that plants need light at one wavelength - hence colour - to produce sugars, another wavelength for other compounds needed by the plant, and a third for yet more.... thinking that the plant only produces sugars is an oversimplification. It is all fascinating stuff, and the lighting trade is not able to offer much help ( in UK at least) - but the info is there, if you go and look for it.

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Default More about my LED system

Name:  Led1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  164.7 KBName:  Led2.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  149.3 KBName:  Led3.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  117.2 KB

I thought the pics would be useful. Self-explanatory ? The light is on a track - moves back and forth. Some plants are in S/H - in blue trays , the others not ( yet). The lighting unit is about one foot square.
    This is supplementary lighting . The natural daylight is good enough for most things in most of the greenhouse, but this is the darkest corner, and cattleyas need more than most orchids.
    I used to worry about trying to use lights in the winter but not in the summer, and what should I do ? Run for 12 hours a day from October to March and then switch off ? Or try to adjust the timer every month to go from say 12 hours in December to 5 in May before switching off until August, and so on. Now - because the running costs are so low, I have them on for 8 hours a day all the year except May-July. If anyone has any better ideas, just shout please, but btw, conventional photo-electric cells are no use , in the same way as a conventional photometer/light meter is no use , when you move away from full spectrum to selected wavelengths. There is appropriate kit, but it measures energy at specific nano-wavelengths - way over my head and way out of my budget !.
    I have just remembered what one of the wavelengths is for - it is the peak for production of atp - which is the powerhouse of the plant in growth ( adeno-tri-phosphate, from memory ). And how interesting- to anyone biology-minded (me) - its the same stuff as used in our bodies for the same purpose....

Real Name
    Yew-Sung
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    cattleyas, vandaceous,paphios
    Member's Country Flag

I don't need artificial lighting but thanks for the very enlightening info.

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

I noticed the lights are very close to the plants. Mine is 300watts and I have them about 16 inches from the tallest leaf. It is set in one position. Name:  Led kight - 1.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  62.6 KBName:  Led kight - 1 (1).jpg
Views: 208
Size:  52.6 KB Do not have plants in the middle for fear it might be to strong.