Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Help with semi-hydro repots

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Question Help with semi-hydro repots

Hey,

I have the s/h stuff i got from ______ yesterday.

I am going to definetly repot my barragera stephan isler, who has no roots. (Purchased overwatered w/o knowing. Be careful where you buy your plants, unless your into saving plants--which I am very much not.)

I also have a dendrobium pendulum that has just finished blooming and a phal bellina that is in spike, but pretty far from blooming, as the spikes are short and unbudded.

Should i repot the bellina? The moss that it came in smells kind of funky, but the plant looks healthy. Should I put the den in there at all, since it is requires a winter rest?

Thanks. OF82
    Last edited by Brutal_Dreamer; May 31st, 2006 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Removal of vender name. Please see the terms and conditions!

When I'm in doubt about the condition of the media or the roots, in bloom or not, I'd repot the plant.

I have lost more plants then I care to mention waiting for them to finish blooming before repotting.

Trung

I have re-potted in S/H when I have purchased plants in spike, and they were fine. The rule of thumb is to convert to S/H when new growth appears in early spring-summer. I have also re-potted a phal that had root rot (box store rescue) and had great results. If you use a rooting additive like K-L-N it helps a great deal to re-establish the plant. I also covered the phal with plastic bag to trap in humidity for a few weeks, and the plant is doing well now.

Maxciocc,

Does s/h work for Onc./Mtssa and the likes with finer roots ???

Trung

I have converted many Oncidiinae to S/H and they are doing very well. The new roots adapt to the conditions. I have Burrageara, Miltonia, Miltoniopsis, Encyclia Radiata, Promenaea, Odontonia in S/H and are either in spike, flowering or new growth. The beauty is you have total control and consitency over what nutrients your plants receive.

Gregg

I,ve got Phal bellina in s/h & it grows & flowers really well.I personally would not be concerned about repotting it into s/h while it is in low spike.
    However if this is your first go @ s/h i would try something cheap & cheerful first.
    I have Nobile Dens & Den kingianum in s/h & the dry period is not an issue for me in my conditions.I only watered Den kingianum & Den speciosum once in about 5 months & the kingianum flowered really well(it did get a pronlonged cool period as well).I just flush the res with rainwater to remove any minerals fert & then tip as much water out of the res as possible before night temps drop below 50f.