Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a yellow, limp leaf overnight

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Unhappy Got a yellow, limp leaf overnight

I just got my first orchids; 2 Phalaenopsis. I live in upstate N.Y. so it's cold. I have them in my spa room where I can keep them warm and humid from the spa running. I have them set on top of stones in a plastic dish with water - not touching the roots. And in a small southern window.I also use a fan to keep the air moving. At night the temp. drops a good 10 degrees by not allowing the spa to run. { I use it during the day just to raise the room temp.} I noticed yesterday that I have one leaf that turned totally yellow and feels soft. Can anybody tell what I've done wrong and how I can stop this from happening? I have only watered it once since I've had it [ 9th day today. The medium fells damp.] Please help? Thank you, odabel

Hi Odabel, and welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you've made quite an effort to keep your new guys happy! It's natural for orchids to occassionally drop their oldest leaf (the lowest on a Phal.) It's part of their growth cycle, and you shouldn't let it freak you out (that's always my first reaction!) But that may not be what's going on here...

Yellowing like that sounds like a moisture problem - particularly if the potting material feels wet. Yet having only watered it once in nine days isn't much. Tell me about the stones the plant is sitting on - is the water in the dish below the surface of the stones? That is, are the orchid pots touching the water at all?

If so, even though the water is below the roots, the potting material will wick the water upward through the pot. That could explain why the potting material feels moist. I'd say with the ambient humidity in the room, you won't need stones and water in the dish at all.

It's also worth mentioning that any sudden change in conditions can shock a plant. Unless you bought this plant from a humid greenhouse, it may be a big change from what it was used to. That tends to be more of a problem with blooming plants, where the sudden change can cause the buds or blossoms to 'blast'.

If the pot's not sitting in water, you may want to consider unpotting the plant and checking the roots. It's very common that you buy an otherwise healthy looking plant that's been overwatered before you get it, and the roots are rotting (which will cause the leaves to yellow and die.) If nothing else makes sense, I'd check the roots. They'll tell you definitively what's going on.

Finally, does your spa use any chemicals, like chlorine? I've always wondered if pool/spa chemicals effect the health of nearby orchids. I figure if we can smell the chemicals, the plants can too. Anybody on the forum have any thoughts on this?

Good luck and keep posting!
    Julie

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Piper - aka Julie, has given you great advice. I'll just add that being in a room with a spa is not good for orchids because the chemicals from the spa do get disbursed into the air and settle on the plants. But your yellow leaf would not have happened from the chemicals that quickly. I think you need to let them dry out, and as Julie said, check the roots.

Welcome and good luck!

Red face Thank you Julie & Diane

Thanks for the advice Julie & Diane. I felt of the medium and once I got my finger down into it a bit more, it is dry. Yes I do use chlorine and that night in question I did put more in the spa than I had intended to. It smelt strong but that is rare. Also, I have a large fanned vent right over the spa that I would guess would take most of the chlorine outside? Don't know for sure? Unfortunately, the rest of my house is very dry and quite cool [ cost of fuel oil this year] So the spa room is my best chance of giving them the right climate. The plants came from a box- store greenhouse that was not as warm as my room. The flowers did fall off but I do have one bud that is "growing" [ so far, knock on wood]. As for the stones- the roots are well above the water. I made sure of that. I keep a close watch on the room climate and in the day it's averaging 84- 86 degrees with 60% - 80% humidity. At night - spa not running the temp drops to around 76- 78 with 30 - 40% humidity. I am trying to cool it off just a bit more right now. I did cut the famous yellow leaf off right after I posted today. Do you still think I should take the plants out of the pots to check the roots? I'm a little nervous about disturbing them and harming them. Never been a real "green thumb." Thanks again and if you have any more info; I'm all ears! odabel

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

With orchids, patience is a virtue. Keep an eye on them and see if any other leaves start to wilt. If another one starts to get droopy, then it's time to check the roots. I would also take the time to wipe the leaves with a cloth dipped in "clean" water - bottle water from the store, RO or distilled. About every 5 days or so. This will help eliminate chemical build up. Don't get the leaves soaking, wet the paper towel, then squeeze out most of the water and wipe the leaves, turning the towel to get a clean surface each time. Wipe the undersides too!!!

Angry Yup - Thank you Diane

I was told this by the lady that sold the plant and have done it. BUT now I have another problem going on. I think I've killed it already! My leaves are split on the largest plant, some down the center seam and one across the leaf. What have I done?! I probably should have never got into this orchid growing. Silk plants would stand a slightly better chance with me! I have never worked and worried so hard on something and have failed so quickly. Is there any hope? odabel "serial plant killer"

Hi Odabel,

You may not have done anything wrong. Sometimes leaves split on their own, and it's no big deal. If you could post pictures, it would really help.

Maybe you're only a cereal plant killer (that is, just at breakfast!)

Hang in!
    Julie

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Easy, odabel! Are they turning brown or yellow? Are they drooping or limp? A picture would really help.

Default Thanks - I'll TRY to get you a pic

I did get brave and take the big plant out and trim off the dead roots and then put it back together. Keep your fingers crossed for me. I'll try to put some pics up. When I first got my orchid and of the split leaves. Here goes nothing! Thanks guys! odabel
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Odabel,

It looks to me like you have a fine, healthy plant! That small crease in the leaf appears to be from some minor incident in the past, and that the plant has already forgotten it.

How did you find the roots? Were mostly firm and healthy, or were many dark and squishy, or were many dry and crispy? The roots will tell a deeper story than the leaves.

A few ends that might have needed trimming mean little. How would you describe the majority of the roots?

Julie