Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: 2 new orchids in Tikva's house

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default 2 new orchids in Tikva's house

Bulbo blumei
    Dendrobium Ise x Kerunai

I have never had a mounted orchid. I was told by the one who sold them to me that I should mist it several times a day...

Would anyone like to give me any "must know" pointers - they were just shipped Saturday and got to me less than an hour ago. I want to make them happy in their new home LOL

Thanks for any pointers - no matter how obvious!!

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Tip #1: never ask Diane for any advice on growing a dend.

Can I ask Diane how to kill a Dend.? So maybe you could tell me what NOT to do to a Dend.??

Default just a question

Could it be that the Dend. is potted too high? or it doesn't matter with Dends.?

It was sort of falling out of it's medium and pot. I was thinking I would just repot now... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything unwise.
    I am also thinking of dismounting the Bulbo and planting it in a pot instead. He said it's in spike but my untrained eye can't find it LOL. I also am scared to take it out - I am finding the end of plants and roots everywhere I look. Some on the top and some on the side... it looks like several different plants if you ask me... I'm going to go read on it now. I'm just scared I will hurt it...

The trouble with mounted plants is that roots tend to grow into all the nooks and crannies, seeking moisture. That makes unmounting very difficult, without damaging roots - sometimes significantly.

If the roots have grown well into the medium, you might be better off leaving it mounted. It will probably require near daily watering and/or misting. And of course, giving it the right level of light. I don't know Bulbos, so I won't speak to that.

Julie

Hey Julie...
    It feels loose and the moss is falling off. It's quite dry and either needs a misting or a replanting. It feels like I could get it right off, but I also think that if the roots were all tangled up, that I could just attatch the moss again... I have to wait for my moss to show up before repotting anyway. I'm so nervous. But inexpensive acquisitions are the way to learn. And I guess I could surrender them to the experts if I find I am just not doing it right....

Hi Kirstie,

If the moss is dry than lay that puppy down in your sink and give it a nice spray bath. I'm not a bulbo grower, but I don't think they want to dry out.

Usually mounted plants are mounted so that their roots can enjoy the sort of tree dwelling conditions their ancestors loved in the wild. The trouble is, that in less humid climates (like ours), it's hard to give mounted orchids enough environmental humidity, unless they're in special terrariums, etc.

I'm waiting for Bulbo experts to chime in (which I'm not), but in the meantime, if the moss starts to feel dry, give a quick sink spray.

Julie

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tikva
    Can I ask Diane how to kill a Dend.? So maybe you could tell me what NOT to do to a Dend.??
    Don't let it get too dry when it wants to be wet, and don't get it too wet when it want's to be dry. You have to figure out which time is when...