Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phal roots dead is there any thing to be done to save the plant

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

I think it will be fine. I'd recommend using something like Kelp Max on it, my Phals go crazy growing roots when I use that! And they usually do it within a couple of weeks. Personally I'd just pot it up with a nice large bark (soak the bark well first so it will retain some water when you water it), use the Kelp Max (or other kelp extract, I'm just familiar with that one and have had great results with it) when you water for the first couple of weeks and keep it in a low stress environment. It should recover well. For some reason, I've had bad luck with the sphag and bag method, but most people find it works great, so that's a good option too!

Real Name
    Traci
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Paphs, Vandas and Dracs
    Member's Country Flag

I agree with everyone here. Here is a link to a post I made about my first phal that had severe root rot.http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchid...lvageable.html The problem actually became worse before it got better in that the phal lost all of its roots and several leaves before it finally decided to grow again. After I got it to grow a few leaves I was able to suspend it slightly above water and just misted it with Neptune's Harvest to get it to grow roots.

Real Name
    Karin

I have found kelp to work wonders for root growth also. I use maxicrop kelp which is granular because a friend gave me a pound of it. I make a stock solution of it.

I have a mini phal which was my first orchid. I did not care for it very well at first but as I started to learn more about orchids and purchased a few more I realized the miniphal was not doing very well. It did not have many roots left. It had grown a new leaf now and then but each leaf was smaller than the previous leaf which is not a good sign.

I finally put it with its one remaining root into a small pot and kept it on a seedling heat mat because I read that warm will encourage root growth. Then I made up a weak mixture of kelp in a spray bottle and sprayed the base of the orchid almost everyday with the kelp. Here are photos of both sides of the phal just maybe 3 or 4 weeks after I started this experiment. The larger short root on the right I think was the only root it had left.

Name:  roots.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  206.6 KB

Name:  roots2.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  198.8 KB

This phal went about two years without growing any roots. It is now about 9 months later and it has lots of long fat roots filling the media. I hope someday to see it bloom. I forgot what color it is.