Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dendrobium aggregatum mount, basket or pot?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cloud forest orchids

Post Dendrobium aggregatum mount, basket or pot?

Hi! I just purchased a Den aggregatum, should arrive the next week or so. In the pic it's growing in pot but I've read these do better if mounted. So I was just thinking - the plant will arrive without a pot, so with bare roots I guess and why not try hand in mounting? Even if I have no experience in mounted orchids and I am partially window grower/in warm period of the year most of them go on the balcony, I live in humid subtropical climate. I am a bit concerned about the humidity/watering needs of mounted orchids. I guess I have to water it daily?

Also I'm still undecided if to mount on a cork bark/driftwood or growing it in a vanda basket.
    Guys who have experience with this kind of orchid - by your personal experience where it does better?

If growing in my conditions mounted is not a good choice I can try to pot it in potting media just don't know which one. I have had a successful experience previously with the only Dendrobium I ever had - densiflorum , I know it's a bit different specimen but still from the same group, just thinking aggregatum has smaller roots than densiflorum so what kind of potting mix I should use if keeping growing in a pot?

Here is a pic of it at growers home. I dunno if it's just me but it looks it's not that happy to be kept in a pot. I don't know the actual age nor how long till the first bloom/if it ever has bloomed, but the grower says it has grown in a pot for 3 years. I am still a dummy here but to me it looks a healthy plant. Any comments?

Greetings from Italy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

It looks a bit dehydrated to me (the pbs). Otherwise I think it looks ok. I grow mine in a clay pot which I moved into soon after the purchase. So I can't say which it likes more.. Mine is too immature to bloom yet. Maybe next year.

I water my mounted daily, sometimes during the summer, 2 times.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vanda, Phals & Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

It has a creeping growing habit and would suit mounting. You could mount in tree fern or cork and yes with mounting you have to water daily. You can fertilize and water throughly during its growing period in spring and complete withholding of fertilizers in winter to initiate blooming

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cloud forest orchids

I'm not sure I can find a tree fern here, in case I'll use cork. Or would a driftwood be as fine?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Mine is mounted on cork. I water at least once a day during the growing period (sometimes twice) and fertilize twice a week at half strength. As the weather starts to cool down in late September I stop fertilizing and gradually reduce the water so by January its only being watered 2-3 times a week. You will have a better flowering if you can reduce your night temperature to the 60F range. We had some very strange weather in my area this past winter so I'm not expecting much in the way of flowers. Yours does look a bit dehydrated as Harvey said but if the previous owner was trying to get it to flower that's pretty normal. It looks mature enough to flower.
    Last edited by Chris in Hamilton; March 31st, 2016 at 04:56 PM.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cloud forest orchids

Thanks, Chris in Hamilton! That's a very detailed information!
    I'll start watering regularly to wake it up and produce new growth. Hoping to have good results.

Just one more think I forgot to ask - does it matter in which way I mount this dendrobium? I mean should I do vertically as I have seen the most mounted orchids or is completely fine also horizontally like in this pic (ok is not a dendrobium)? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wooZSwGTdB...kU/s400/88.jpg
    Posted via Mobile Device

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by theflowerbread View Post
    Thanks, Chris in Hamilton! That's a very detailed information!
    I'll start watering regularly to wake it up and produce new growth. Hoping to have good results.

Just one more think I forgot to ask - does it matter in which way I mount this dendrobium? I mean should I do vertically as I have seen the most mounted orchids or is completely fine also horizontally like in this pic (ok is not a dendrobium)? http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wooZSwGTdB...kU/s400/88.jpg
    Posted via Mobile Device
    You could go either way but if you put it vertically it is easier to attach a hook, then you can hang it, then you have more space for more plants. One thing, when I said fertilize twice a week, that is at half strength. Fixing that in my previous post.

Real Name
    Jack
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Bulbophyllum and the rest!
    Member's Country Flag

I would also mount it will turn into a great specimen.

Real Name
    Jeromy
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilums
    Member's Country Flag

Mine is in a clay pot and seems to be doing great. Holes are around the base of the pot, ive used a mix of med fir bark, charcoal, and perlite. I giive it s good drenching about once a week.

My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals

Aspetta un po! You have a warm humid summer and a cold dry winter. It may be that Jeromy has the solution. A mount would be very laborious (in terms of hydration) in both seasons, and if you wanted to leave for a long weekend, it would be tostare. I am trying to grow some dends in Austria (even worse conditions than Milano), and I can't imagine mounting mine. Here is my Florida aggregatum:

Name:  IMG_1652.JPG
Views: 1914
Size:  138.6 KB