Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: Did I succeed in pollination? What now?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Shantell

Default Did I succeed in pollination? What now?

Hello! So I'm very extremely new to everything orchids. I recently began learning about how to pollinate and grow orchids. I had recently just bought one, and since it's in bloom, I wanted to try and cross pollinate some flowers to see if anything would happen. A few days later I looked closer at my flowers, and sure enough three of them were swollen! I didn't think about this until now, but I haven't repotted the poor thing since my pots are still coming in the mail. If I were to repot, would I end up ruining any chances of my orchid forming seed pods?

Name:  20160614_212751.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  95.5 KB

Real Name
    Kirk
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Paphiopedilum
    Member's Country Flag

The flower is reacting to the pollen, but it will be a few weeks until you are sure that a seed capsule will form, and even then you may find that little or no viable seed is produced. You just have to wait and see. Repotting now or in the next couple weeks shouldn't interfere with the process as long as the plant is healthy. You may lose the remaining flowers, but as long as you find healthy roots and treat the plant gently during the process it really shouldn't affect it much.

The process of growing orchids from seed is long and complex, so start educating yourself ASAP. Good luck.

Real Name
    Shantell

Quote Originally Posted by PaphMadMan View Post
    The flower is reacting to the pollen, but it will be a few weeks until you are sure that a seed capsule will form, and even then you may find that little or no viable seed is produced. You just have to wait and see. Repotting now or in the next couple weeks shouldn't interfere with the process as long as the plant is healthy. You may lose the remaining flowers, but as long as you find healthy roots and treat the plant gently during the process it really shouldn't affect it much.

The process of growing orchids from seed is long and complex, so start educating yourself ASAP. Good luck.
    I'm not sure if I will get the opportunity to grow the seeds, but it's cool to just see what the plant will do! I'm heading off to a college soon, and they have a pretty intense botany department, so maybe I can find someone there who can help me through the process of germinating orchid seeds!

I just repotted this orchid a couple days ago, and so far the only flowers that have fallen are the ones that are pollinated! So she's taking it really well! and she is definitely a lot happier! Afterward, I could fill up the original pot one and a half times with moss! They really packed it in there! So hopefully I'll have good news about these seed pods!

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

Good luck!