Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epidendrum?

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya/Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

I found a picture on Instagram of a woman in my country having an Arachnis flos-aeris and she said that this orchid practically grows like a weed in the town she lives. Perhaps the cutting I have is an Arachnis flos-aeris, but I'm only speculating. I guess I'll just have to wait until either of both plants (my cutting or the parent plant) blooms. Either way, from what I read both types (Renanthera or Arachnis) needs a lot of sunlight which is not a problem in my country and high levels of humidity. Now that it's actively growing I'll concentrate in providing fertilizer and water.

Two things needed: light and patience.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya/Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Hi! We can finally know which type of orchid it is!! From the mother plant (at my grandmother's house) in the place of the stem where I took the cutting, a new growth developed and it finally produced blooms! This will be the first time I see this plant with blooms at my grandmother's house. (sorry for the pictures quaity)

Name:  IMG-20170419-WA0005.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  IMG-20170419-WA0003.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  107.0 KB

So, it's definitely a Renanthera. I will cut the crown of the cutting I have, I don't know if that will work, but at least it did with the mother plant.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Nice spike with lots of flowers! Well Done!

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya/Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Hi! We already know that the plant in the OP is a Renanthera. It's been 4 years since I took that cutting, the plant grew a lot, I tried to fit it in the space of a pot and guiding the roots to fit the little space I have. Now it's having it first flower spike! Althought I already know which flowers will I get, watching an orchid blooming is always exciting.

Name:  IMG_20200325_134158.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  89.8 KB

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

The roots in the pot are not very important for these Ren's. They will produce aerial roots, and those are the important ones.
    I'm surprised it is taking you so long. Here in UK the conditions are far from ideal, but my Ren's flower about 5 times in 2 years - generally speaking they poduce a new flower spike every two or three pairs of leaves - the top few don't count, the stem, where the flower bud nodes develop, is not mature enough. . So, count up from the last flower spike, and if you have 6 pairs of leaves, it really ought to have flowered again. I find that a spike takes about 3 months to grow to its full extent, but some flowers are open after say 6 weeks. And since the flowers are quite long lasting, the new spike should be starting only a few weeks after the last flower drops. If you don not get these results , you should look to see how your culture can be improved - try spraying those aerial roots more frequently,. for a start!
    the other thing with all vandaceous orchids is that a temperature drop is the trigger to initiate a new flower spike. We have no difficulty with that in UK ! But you might think of how you can achieve this ? Might even be that standing the pot in ice-cubes overnight would do the trick ?

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Good for you! How exciting! I've had mine 4 or 5 years but no spike. I think too little light so I've moved it - we'll see.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya/Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsetman View Post
    The roots in the pot are not very important for these Ren's. They will produce aerial roots, and those are the important ones.
    I'm surprised it is taking you so long. Here in UK the conditions are far from ideal, but my Ren's flower about 5 times in 2 years - generally speaking they poduce a new flower spike every two or three pairs of leaves - the top few don't count, the stem, where the flower bud nodes develop, is not mature enough. . So, count up from the last flower spike, and if you have 6 pairs of leaves, it really ought to have flowered again. I find that a spike takes about 3 months to grow to its full extent, but some flowers are open after say 6 weeks. And since the flowers are quite long lasting, the new spike should be starting only a few weeks after the last flower drops. If you don not get these results , you should look to see how your culture can be improved - try spraying those aerial roots more frequently,. for a start!
    the other thing with all vandaceous orchids is that a temperature drop is the trigger to initiate a new flower spike. We have no difficulty with that in UK ! But you might think of how you can achieve this ? Might even be that standing the pot in ice-cubes overnight would do the trick ?
    I think it took me so long because I've neglected this orchid most of the time... I had it on my kitchen window and didn't put much attention on watering or fertilizer for a while. I've reeplazed the clay pellets of the pot with something heavier (glass balls) to give stability and support, but most of the roots are exposed, no substrate. Right know its flower spike comes from the node bellow the last 3 pairs of leaves. When I noticed it was starting to produce the flower spike I've increased spraying the roots like 4 times daily, because during the day it's kinda sunny and the roots dry pretty fast. About the temperature drop -I think- it's not totally difficult here in my city (Caracas), for example winter's night temps drop to 15-16ºC compared to the 25-26ºC during the day. The rest of the year night temps are 19-20ºC and day temps goes max to 30ºC. I don't know if that is enough.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya/Dendrobium
    Member's Country Flag

First flower opening today!! I think it might be R. storiei or R. coccinea.

Name:  DSCN1750.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  105.0 KB

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Gorgeous!!! I'm very jealous!
    Posted via Mobile Device