Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! phal. orchid root rot/no roots/leaves dying

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Carol
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Catts, Onc. Alliance

First - don't panic. The more you repot and move it around, the harder it is on the plant, so don't be in a hurry. Take your time and decide on a course of action, do it and see. For a plant with no roots, it may be happier unpotted in the sphag and bag method (let someone that has used this explain it to you), or in a smaller pot with sphagnum moss mixed in with the bark. Generally Phals like the sort of mix you are using, but it sure doesn't hold water for a rootless plant! It does look thirsty and may lose some of its leaves before it turns around.

Whatever you end up doing for it, be sure its supported well (if its potted) so it doesn't wobble and damage the roots it has or is growing. I don't think I'd fertilize it, you don't want to support the top growing at this time, you want to stimulate roots. Just some random thoughts...

BTW to post more pictures, do them on separate posts, it'll only take a couple per post.

Real Name
    Traci
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Paphs, Vandas and Dracs
    Member's Country Flag

I have seen and owned a lot worse. Some spag in the mix may help but like Carol said the more you move it around the more it sets it back. I haven't had much luck bagging an orchid in the spagh and bag because humidity builds up too much. However I have had good luck doing it modified. I either take a glass fish tank that I put decorative stone or a bit of moss at the bottom and moisten it. Then I put an inverted bowl in the tank and set the orchid on top of it. I then cover the top of the tank 3/4 of the way with Saran Wrap. This lets humidity build up but the plant can also have some fresh air. The other way is to get decorative stones and put that on a plate and then add water to the plate. Put the orchid on top of the plate and make sure it is not in the water. I usually have to add water every day to the plate. Others I have heard have had success with setting the orchid on top of an egg carton filled with water.
    The good news is that the orchid doesn't look nearly as bad as one I saved. It takes some time and don't expect that it will happen overnight. The kelp max will definitely help or Neptunes harvest.

---------- Post Merged at 07:52 PM ----------

Another method I have also used is to take a glass of water and suspend the orchid above the glass on bamboo skewers. It encourages root growth.

Thank you so much traci! Question, do i use the plant, unpotted, in the methods you are speaking of? Or do I use the plant potted? For instance the plate method, do I lay the plant unpotted on the stones on the plate?
    I went and bought some stag. Moss last night. I put the moss around the top of the medium, at the base of the plant. I'm hoping by doing this that it will help give my plant some water. I have thought about spraying the top if the medium regularly in hopes of stimulating root growth
    What do you all think about that?
    I'll post more picture when I get home so that you all can see what I'm talking about. THanks
    Posted via Mobile Device

Real Name
    Traci
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Paphs, Vandas and Dracs
    Member's Country Flag

Welcome Britney,
    You would leave the plant in the pot for both the fish tank and the plate method. You would just set the plastic inner pot on the pebbles just make sure that the water doesn't enter the plant pot. I usually stack stones a little higher in the center or use a plastic lid to set the plant on. When water is added in between the stones it evaporates and will help keep the plant from drying out. I typically add water every day to the plate since it evaporates during the day. I usually don't water the orchid but instead mist the top of the medium when it gets dry having the moss on top will help. Just remember damp and not fully soggy especially since there aren't any roots for the plant to sink into the medium.
    The goal is to keep the plant in a humid environment so that it won't desiccate and also so that it will start to produce new leaves and roots. You also want to make sure that the plant is kept from being soggy because that will be a risk for bacterial and fungal growth. Growing new roots is a slow process and usually doesn't happen overnight but will happen.