Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Thread: My blooms are beginning to drop. Help!

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size

Default My blooms are beginning to drop. Help!

Well, it looks like after 3 months, my older Phals are beginning to drop all of their blooms. The temp in our bedroom has gradually gone up and the flowers have begun to fall.

I have one Phal that dropped 7-8 of it's flowers, and has 2 buds left on the end of the spike. I noticed last night that these last buds are beginning to swell and may bloom this week.

Kind of a funky looking spike, about 2.5 feet long, arches over and down, with two buds on the very end

When all buds are gone, is that the time to cut the spike off and let the plant rest?

Pics of these two orchids, right before they dropped their blooms at http://www.spudmonkey.org/gallery/album11

Also, Second question:

I bought a third orchid that was planted in bark. I have noticed that it certainly has different watering requirements than those in moss! Where as I would water the moss-planted orchids once/week, the bark planted requires twice a week. Anyway, to the question: I noticed that the tips of the leaves appear to have been bent to the point of breaking the fibrous tissue, and seem to just flop down. I am guessing this is common with store-bought orchids... Do I trim these off? Is ther eany special treatment to the end of the leaf?

Also, I notice that there is a mosaic pattern that appears to be dehydrated, on a larger section of the leaf. You can see pictures of the newest addition to my growing collection at http://www.spudmonkey.org/gallery/album10.

Since I have been keeping a very close watch on this plant, the patterns in the leaf shown in http://www.spudmonkey.org/gallery/album10/img_0109 have become less noticible.

Is there a way to clean the obnoxious water spots off these leaves? I have used distilled water and gently scrubbed, and this has lightened the stains somewhat, but not completely. You can see a good example of the stains in http://www.spudmonkey.org/gallery/album10/img_0111

Would anyone happen to know what variety this Phal is? The pot came labeled as a 'non-registered' Phal.

Thanks all, you have been a great help!

--->Rob

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Catts and Paphs
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by PyroRob
    When all buds are gone, is that the time to cut the spike off and let the plant rest?

Also, Second question:

I bought a third orchid that was planted in bark. I have noticed that it certainly has different watering requirements than those in moss! Where as I would water the moss-planted orchids once/week, the bark planted requires twice a week. Anyway, to the question: I noticed that the tips of the leaves appear to have been bent to the point of breaking the fibrous tissue, and seem to just flop down. I am guessing this is common with store-bought orchids... Do I trim these off? Is ther eany special treatment to the end of the leaf?

Also, I notice that there is a mosaic pattern that appears to be dehydrated, on a larger section of the leaf.

Since I have been keeping a very close watch on this plant, the patterns in the leaf shown in http://www.spudmonkey.org/gallery/album10/img_0109 have become less noticible.

Is there a way to clean the obnoxious water spots off these leaves? I have used distilled water and gently scrubbed, and this has lightened the stains somewhat, but not completely.Thanks all, you have been a great help!

--->Rob
    After the blooms have finished you have 2 choices, cut the bloom stalk off right near the plant and let the plant rest, or cut the bloom stalk between the points of the first blossom and the first node below the old blossom. It looks like a very vigorous plant, and would very probably branch, but if you cut the stalk off completely you will get a much better show next blooming.

The leaf tips seem okay to me. I suggest leaving them alone, as trimming them can open them up to infections.

The mosiac pattern looks like sunburn to me. Keep an eye on it, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Cleaning the leaves - I have heard lots of different suggestions (milk, sun oil, etc.) I just try to wipe mine down with water on a paper towel once a month.

Hi Rob,

Wonderfully happy plants there!

First question: you can let the guys keep blooming if you want. I'd check the leaves and make sure they seem very happy. That pink guy (in the first group) had so many gazillions of flowers, the plant could be tired and may want to rest up. If you cut the spike, the plant will put all its energy into growing and should give an equally or more impressive display next time. If you want two flowers more for a couple of months, it will divert its energy into that. Your choice. I'm thinking I'd probably cut it. Two flowers on the end of a bloomed out spike aren't particularly attractive, but up to you.

Second question: that's a happy plant you just got! Lots of great healthy roots. The leaves look like they have cell collapse. Most likely from too much sun. But mealie bug damage can leave similar scarring on a Phal leaf.

ID'ing a hybrid Phal is near impossible. They're so heavily crossed and many that look identical have completely differenet backgrounds. Whether or not the cross of your plant was registered, the parents should at least have been listed. Bummer - it becomes a Phal. NOID (that is, No ID.) We all have them - and we love them too!

Good luck with your plants!

Julie

My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Mystacidium
    Member's Country Flag

Lemon juice and distilled water work great for cleaning hard water spots.

Talking Yo Rob

Love the pics and the whole album too. Question, how far are you from Keystone/Vail. ???

Getting ready to pack my skis for the season after one grand finale to Keystone, CO next month.

Trung

Real Name
    Lynda
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    phals, paphs, oncs
    Member's Country Flag

Hi Trung,

I live in the mountains an hour south of the ski resorts you list. Great year here for skiing--my son has been using his CO pass every weekend. Not much snow here where I live though, and it looks like a dry summer coming without it. Enjoy the slopes--sun's out bright, aspens are tasseling, and it won't be ski time much longer!

Hi Mehera,

I have a ski pass too for my local area, but couldn't really take advantage of it this season because of the warm weather and lack of snow. It is either always slushy or just pure ice here in the East coast.

Last year when I was in Keystone for 2 weeks, I skied all 3 of their peaks and had one of the best time of my adult life. it was like moving in slow motion, regardless of the steep. During that trip, I'd still phoned home every other day to my mom for an orchid report to check on the happy, the sick, and the dying.

Happy growing,
    Trung

All,

Thanks for your kind comments. The first Phal with the 2 blooms left, dropped one, and the terminal bloom opened last night I think after I enjoy it for a couple days, I will cut back the spike and let the plant recuperate.

I have noticed that the leaf damage has appeared to lessen since I have owned it, so hopefully, it is repairing itself.

I noticed that some of the leaf tips have been broken / damaged in transport, prior to be buying it. Do I just trim it off and let it go?

Trung,

I live about 90 minutes from Keystone. I don't ski much any more. The traffic has gotten so bad that I end up spending more time on the highway than on the slopes, at the end of the day.

Keystone is a nice place in the summertime too, although most people won't exert the effort to enjoy it

Thanks again,

--->Rob