Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phal mounting options

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Hamilton View Post
    LOL I would seriously consider giving my left arm for your climate.
    No kidding...

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    No kidding...
    Sounds like things are getting nasty in your part of the world too. We have had 1.8 centimeters (.71 ") of rain since the 1st of June and not expecting any for at least another week. Tomorrow the thermometer is supposed to hit 33c and feel like 43c (109F) I have a small collection of mini roses. The flowers look almost normal but yesterday afternoon I squeezed one and it made a sound like crushing rice cereal and disintegrated. Nothing like some parts of the world of course but geesh!

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas Challenging to grow

Hi Guys!
    Sorry you're having a mini drought! However daily rains has it's drawback, in that I have had to change my potting mixture from an Oak bark mixture to straight Coarse Perlite.

With the humidity and all, the bark was getting all sorts of problems not just because it's wet all the time but would develop mold and fungus in a short period of time. I've lost a few of my favorites orchids because of it.

One day I was browsing the internet and I ran into a sight where they use nothing but perlite and were having good success. So I switched and have had less problems.

For one thing: No more ant nests and the occasional termites, slugs, snails, mold, mildew and most of all root rot from the decaying matter. It's almost impossible to over water, but now the opposite is true. I need to monitor for lack of moisture, but my losses are now minimal.

Darn if you do and darn if you don't ... I need a happy medium ... Maybe a combination of perlite and something else that don't rot?

Oh yes, with all this rain and humidity ... things don't last long. Electronics fail in a short time not to mention RUST. As my son said " Doesn't do any good to buy quality stuff, because the environment quickly deteriorates it". How true that is. Just ask my $2000.00 Yamaha Keyboard!

So, there you go folks .... Still want this environment?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

LOL Yup! I could mount everything!

Real Name
    Traci
    My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Phals, Paphs, Vandas and Dracs
    Member's Country Flag

Monica maybe use a Muses shoe - I gave away my ruby slipper one so that's out. For those not from the area Muses is a Mardi Gras parade. The crew elaborately decorates shoes all year long to throw during the parade. It's a coveted item.

---------- Post Merged at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
    Oh yes, with all this rain and humidity ... things don't last long. Electronics fail in a short time not to mention RUST. As my son said " Doesn't do any good to buy quality stuff, because the environment quickly deteriorates it". How true that is. Just ask my $2000.00 Yamaha Keyboard!

So, there you go folks .... Still want this environment?
    I feel your pain here. Lawn furniture gone too quickly. We fight mold and mildew here. The rubber surrounding my car windows have had issues with fungus. Just a constant battle.

Real Name
    Ray Barkalow
    My Grow Area
    Porch/Patio.

Cue the violins....

Yeah, but you have a much better growing environment than some of us.

When I lived in coastal SC (where I am currently vacationing), we had to wash down the house with bleach to keep the mold and mildew at bay. I view that as a small price to pay for not having a $4500 heating bill for the greenhouse...

Real Name
    Harvey
    My Grow Area
    Under Lights
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    1-Neo falcata,2-Phal,3-Paph
    Member's Country Flag

Trying to grow orchids in the dry air of Colorado is a challenge. How I wish we had 20% more humidity than we have normally.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by raybark View Post
    Cue the violins....

Yeah, but you have a much better growing environment than some of us.

When I lived in coastal SC (where I am currently vacationing), we had to wash down the house with bleach to keep the mold and mildew at bay. I view that as a small price to pay for not having a $4500 heating bill for the greenhouse...
    I'm trying to figure out how to build an attached greenhouse for just that reason. Biggest challenge is the main floor is 4' off the ground.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas Challenging to grow

Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Hamilton View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to build an attached greenhouse for just that reason. Biggest challenge is the main floor is 4' off the ground.
    Taking in consideration that most ceilings are 8' high, you would have to compensate for it by either building your greenhouse 12' high and you'd come down stairs into you greenhouse. Or Raise the floor of the greenhouse by building a 4' deck.

IMO the 12' high greenhouse would be the way to go and would be cheaper to build. You also wouldn't have to worry about a wooden deck rotting eventually. 12' high would also mean that you could hang things up above by having enough crossbeams.

You could drill 1 1/2" holes into your crossbeams and run PVC pipes not only for hanging plants but also if you decide later you want a misting system. Just some Ideas running through my head. LOL

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
    Taking in consideration that most ceilings are 8' high, you would have to compensate for it by either building your greenhouse 12' high and you'd come down stairs into you greenhouse. Or Raise the floor of the greenhouse by building a 4' deck.

IMO the 12' high greenhouse would be the way to go and would be cheaper to build. You also wouldn't have to worry about a wooden deck rotting eventually. 12' high would also mean that you could hang things up above by having enough crossbeams.

You could drill 1 1/2" holes into your crossbeams and run PVC pipes not only for hanging plants but also if you decide later you want a misting system. Just some Ideas running through my head. LOL
    All things I've considered and 12' is still an option but florr level is winning out. I'm going to do this up as its own thread in a day or two. This forum is probably the best place to get ideas and help.