Orchid Care OrchidTalk Orchid Forum Links Nursery

Welcome to OrchidTalk Orchid Forums

The Friendliest Orchid Community on the Internet!

•  » Learn to Repot your Orchids
  •  » Learn Orchid Care Tips and Secrets
  •  » Find the perfect Orchid for your Growing Environment
  •  » Chat with Orchid Growing Professionals

OrchidTalk - "Bringing People Together to Grow Orchids Better!"

Let us help you grow your Orchids better; Join our community today.

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!

Register or Login now to remove this advertisement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dendrobium kikis

Click here to increase the font size Click here to reduce the font size
    My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Default Dendrobium kikis

I have 4 dendrobium kikis, all with 2-4 roots. I would like to detach them and possibly mount them? Any suggestions?

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

What kind of Den. Sheryl?

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleyas Challenging to grow

Shouldn't be a problem but I would wait for the mounting guru (Oilie) to chime in and see what he has to say.

Or ... for Ray for his infinite wisdom ..., but I think I would wait until it has more than a couple of roots.

Have most of mine mounted on tree trunks using a wee bit of Sphagnum moss and a green tie. I remove the green tie once they're established, But that may not be the best way. It was one of the FIRST try things and seemed to work for me.

I think most the other have done it too, so their input would also be of great value as well.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 215
Size:  157.0 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Hamilton View Post
    What kind of Den. Sheryl?
    Chris, I don't have a tag on this dendrobium but this is a pic of it the last time it bloomed.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

That's a great colour! I can't see the canes but they are probably hard and upright. You could try mounting them but sooner or later you are going to have to deal with a plant that is very top heavy and awkward so you will need a very robust mount. Then, when it is large and established you will have to deal with watering it enough to sustain that big plant. So, if it were mine I would mount it on a tree or structure that you can build or buy ready made or pot them in a pot. In my climate, without a greenhouse, I would have to stay with a pot. I would wait to remove the kiki's until there are 5 or at least 3" long. Kiki are easy to remove, just give them a twist between the roots and old stem. The more ready they are the easier to disconnect. I often just put them in the pot with mom but it's always a good idea to have a backup in another pot. There I go again yada yada yada yada.

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    All of them
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Hamilton View Post
    That's a great colour! I can't see the canes but they are probably hard and upright. You could try mounting them but sooner or later you are going to have to deal with a plant that is very top heavy and awkward so you will need a very robust mount. Then, when it is large and established you will have to deal with watering it enough to sustain that big plant. So, if it were mine I would mount it on a tree or structure that you can build or buy ready made or pot them in a pot. In my climate, without a greenhouse, I would have to stay with a pot. I would wait to remove the kiki's until there are 5 or at least 3" long. Kiki are easy to remove, just give them a twist between the roots and old stem. The more ready they are the easier to disconnect. I often just put them in the pot with mom but it's always a good idea to have a backup in another pot. There I go again yada yada yada yada.
    Thank you for your input Chris. I'll wait awhile longer before I separate them.

---------- Post Merged at 09:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
    Shouldn't be a problem but I would wait for the mounting guru (Oilie) to chime in and see what he has to say.

Or ... for Ray for his infinite wisdom ..., but I think I would wait until it has more than a couple of roots.

Have most of mine mounted on tree trunks using a wee bit of Sphagnum moss and a green tie. I remove the green tie once they're established, But that may not be the best way. It was one of the FIRST try things and seemed to work for me.

I think most the other have done it too, so their input would also be of great value as well.
    Thank you for your input. I'll probably let the kikis grow a little more before I separate them. I'm so inspired by everyone mounting them and as you mention especially Elios.

Real Name
    Monica
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse

I agree. I have gotten the mounting bug and recently mounted about 4 of my orchids. I played it by ear and probably used too much sphagnum. We'll just have to see how many make it. I n regard to kicks. I have a Den that has 2 large kicks. Am I to surmise that mounting is not as good an idea as potting. If potting, what media works for you?

My Grow Area
    Outside 24/7
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Vandeae tribe orchids
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryl View Post
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 215
Size:  157.0 KB

Chris, I don't have a tag on this dendrobium but this is a pic of it the last time it bloomed.
    Just commenting to appreciate the beautiful deep purple colour.

My Grow Area
    Windowsill
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Dendrobium, Cattleya
    Member's Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by moniluhum View Post
    I agree. I have gotten the mounting bug and recently mounted about 4 of my orchids. I played it by ear and probably used too much sphagnum. We'll just have to see how many make it. I n regard to kicks. I have a Den that has 2 large kicks. Am I to surmise that mounting is not as good an idea as potting. If potting, what media works for you?
    Not saying Den. 's should not be mounted Monica. Just saying know your enemy. The larger plants with upright, rigid growth are just too impractical unless you have somewhere permanent for them to reside. Say you have a Den. spectabile that you mount when it is 6" tall and weighs 1/2 lb. With optimum growth in 5 years you have a plant that is 5' tall 3' across and weighs 10 lb. I have about 40 Den. half in pots, half mounted. If I had the shelf space I would probably have more of those in pots for the simple reason that they wouldn't have to be watered every day. The mix I am using for small Den. right now is 40% medium coconut husk, 30% medium bark, 10% cedar chips, 10% course charcoal and 10% course perlite

Real Name
    Geoff Hands
    My Grow Area
    Greenhouse
    Favorite Orchid(s)
    Cattleya ?
    Member's Country Flag

Personally, I put most Dendrobium keikis into very coarse Perlite - the best one can get get here in UK is nominally 0-6mm size, but I either sieve it, with a 4mm mesh, keeping the largest particles, or put it in a bucket of water, and keep pushjng it down ; the larger particles float, and the dust sinks. Then I use the Perlite, pot in the ordinary way, and top with horticultural grit to keep it neat and tidy, and provide some weight. Then grow in S/H , i.e. stand the pot in 1/2inch of water. Quite a few things will flower within a year on that first cane, when quite small.

I was amused by Chris's D.speciosum story . 5 ft tall and weighing 10 lb - yes I have seen pics of them that big ( and much bigger too ) in Australia. But over here, it is rare to see one in flower at all, and even then, bulbs the size of a cucumber - say 10 inches or a bit more, and a couple of inch diameter, would be about the largest seen. Our climate and weather of course !